+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One for the Reggae heads out there

I'm John.

What surprised me about Jah 9 is that she never had any ambitions to be a singer but started out as a poet, which is amazing considering how good her voice is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I get a real feel for reggae, maybe because I'm a lapsed musician, bass and guitar player, bass being my primary instrument. Reggae really feeds into my soul, like an earthy vibe. I listen to perhaps more mainstream music, Steel Pulse, Linton Kwasi Johnson, Yellowman and so on. My musical roots are in 70's punk and there has always been a strange link between the two very different genres. Truth be told I like any music that shows a creative mind willing to explore what it can do. I still get the hairs on my neck tingling when I play the Pistols, 41 years after they hit the big time.
    Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" was a mainstay of every punk gig I went to. And sometimes Dillinger's "Cocaine in my Brain".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" was a mainstay of every punk gig I went to. And sometimes Dillinger's "Cocaine in my Brain".
    I remember them well, I saw The Clash at the Hammersmith Odeon in 79 and the PA kept breaking down and every time on went the Dillinger album.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

Streaming Jah 9 right now, and it's a good way to chill on a Sunday afternoon. The album's gone onto my vinyl wants list. Probably no logic to this, but the few reggae albums I own are all on vinyl.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dan.

Cheers Robert Right up my street was playing a few of her tracks on the IMF's last night

Another recommendation from me : Alborosie Try the 2018 Unbreakable: Alborosie Meets the Wailers United this is also superb..
    Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1
    Radioshack Phono Preamp with Thorens TD 125 MK1 Turntable , SME 3009 SII Non Improved , Shure V15 II
    Mordaunt Short MS 10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

I'm Robert.

Nice one Dan, and thanks for the reco'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Cheers Robert Right up my street was playing a few of her tracks on the IMF's last night

Another recommendation from me : Alborosie Try the 2018 Unbreakable: Alborosie Meets the Wailers United this is also superb..
    Alborosie is an Italian Reggae artist who moved out to Jamaica several years ago. I heard a track by him on a French radio station a few years ago while driving round Paris - "Play Fool (to catch Wise)". On the strength of that I bought "Sound The System" (Greensleeves) album, and it is pretty good imv.

I believe he was given the name "borosie", which apparently is a derogatory term (dunno what it means) and he put his name (Albert) on the front of it!

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Robert.

Got my brother the jah9 album for his birthday https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H2OX1...183&th=1&psc=1
    Saw him yesterday. Sat down, with a big grin on his face he fired it up on his system - he absolutely loves it.

He must have 'rewound' 'Greatest threat to the staus quo' maybe four times .....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dan.

I bought 9 and currently spinning and producing monstrous bass on the Big Kef's with Sugden A28 Amplifier

Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1
    Radioshack Phono Preamp with Thorens TD 125 MK1 Turntable , SME 3009 SII Non Improved , Shure V15 II
    Mordaunt Short MS 10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    What surprised me about Jah 9 is that she never had any ambitions to be a singer but started out as a poet, which is amazing considering how good her voice is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Jill Scott the same I think.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast