+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital camera!?

I'm Dave.

If you want to spend serious money there are always medium format digital cameras. See https://www.adorama.com/alc/5-best-m...igital-cameras They are seriously large and heavy I think too.

I met a few people with some of these a year or so back on a trip to see the 2017 eclipse - mostly Pentax I think. In the days of film I had a friend with at least one Hasselblad - not sure if he's still got any.
    Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    If you want to spend serious money there are always medium format digital cameras. See https://www.adorama.com/alc/5-best-m...igital-cameras They are seriously large and heavy I think too.

I met a few people with some of these a year or so back on a trip to see the 2017 eclipse - mostly Pentax I think. In the days of film I had a friend with at least one Hasselblad - not sure if he's still got any.
    Yes, and seriously expensive too.

In the past I have toyed with the idea of buying a Bronica ETRS system, or maybe a used Hasselblad or Rolleiflex. But most of my photography is travel photography. I have been all over the world and to places where other cameras have frozen up or failed with extreme heat; my Leicas (M3 and M4) have just performed flawlessly regardless of environment.
    Barry

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, and seriously expensive too.

In the past I have toyed with the idea of buying a Bronica ETRS system, or maybe a used Hasselblad or Rolleiflex. But most of my photography is travel photography. I have been all over the world and to places where other cameras have frozen up or failed with extreme heat; my Leicas (M3 and M4) have just performed flawlessly regardless of environment.
    Good stuff, Barry. Those old Leicas have incredible glass, as is much of the German glass of that era. I've never owned a Leica, but if I ever had a hankering for one, it would be a 1950's era M-series.

In general, I think it's easy to underestimate the enlargement potential of a 35mm neg or chrome that's been shot with a top-rank lens. Despite being mainly a medium format shooter (Rolleiflex, Mamiya TLR, Agfa folder, etc.) I am repeatedly taken aback by how good are the prints made from my little Rollei 35SE (Sonnar lens). I have some 16"x20" and 20"x20" prints hanging on our living room wall taken with this camera, and they are nearly indistinguishable in quality from the same size prints beside them shot with the Mamiya 6x6. Save for a bit more grain, visible only if your nose is inches from the print, you would never know it was a 35mm camera. I'm certain the leaf shutter helps a lot at getting sharp images, not having a mirror whacking away in there. That little thing is my desert island camera...built like a tank and has that killer lens.

Yes, those little Rollei 35SEs were the perfect pocket-sized 35mm film camera. The only disadvantage being it was easy to loose the lens cap. My girlfriend had one.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Used to have a Bronica.. Nice camera but quite big and nowadays a little one does a decent job and fits in the pocket.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I expect Morgan has given up by now, as no sensible suggestions have been forthcoming. It's no good camera buffs going on about their own preferences and spouting terms that a novice will not be familiar with.

Although he hasn't said yet, I think he likely just wants a modestly priced pocketable zoom compact camera that will provide decent everyday family and outdoor snaps, as well as being able to take good close-up (macro) shots and having a portrait and maybe sports mode.

My recommendation would be to search out reviews of modern compacts.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Then I would suggest a Lumix. A reasonably priced, fully automatic 'point and shoot' jobbie with a Leica designed zoom lens. I have one.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I expect Morgan has given up by now, as no sensible suggestions have been forthcoming. It's no good camera buffs going on about their own preferences and spouting terms that a novice will not be familiar with.

Although he hasn't said yet, I think he likely just wants a modestly priced pocketable zoom compact camera that will provide decent everyday family and outdoor snaps, as well as being able to take good close-up (macro) shots and having a portrait and maybe sports mode.

My recommendation would be to search out reviews of modern compacts.
    thats what I gave hi.. a canon like mine... its very good and can be had for decent money now and still be in good nick
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Fair enough, Geoff. But with the OP being basically AWOL here since his first post, this sort of thing happens...thread drift, people tossing suggestions out hoping for feedback from the OP as to what he really wants, etc.. Several, including me, have asked him to be more specific and provide some background, but he's not been heard from. Can't blame the others for trying to be helpful and having a bit of side chat about a favourite subject.

I'm Edward.

To the OP (Morgan). best to narrow down what you want a camera for and what sort of monies you want to spend.

Although now two years old this camera selector tool may help you get some focus on what you want.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast