+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updating from a 37" LCD TV circa 2006

I'm Geoff.

I see that the model I bought is now discontinued but they do have the 43" update on my model in stock https://www.richersounds.com/lg-43uk...-page-product3

It is not the thinnest screen nor the most beautiful, but I am pleased with the quality.

I'm Josie.

Hi guys...

thanks all of you... some great information.

Hi Geoff, the price of that is good. I'm not bothered about size though. I'd go up to 40" - 43" at a push. Anything bigger I think would be too big.

Just wondering if buying 2nd hand would be a good idea?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi guys...

thanks all of you... some great information.

Hi Geoff, the price of that is good. I'm not bothered about size though. I'd go up to 40" - 43" at a push. Anything bigger I think would be too big.

Just wondering if buying 2nd hand would be a good idea?
    The included 6 year warranty means that this works out at just over £1 per week. Second hand with panel TVs is risky and you run the risk of damage in transit. For this price you are also getting this year's tech. Of course, you could opt for a standard HD tv rather than a 4k unit. However, even at 43" I would still opt for the higher res.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Although my trusty 37" TOSHIBA Regza is still going strong I'd like to update to maybe a little larger, and thinner display as the Toshiba is around 4" deep.

Because I've not really been following the technology I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a new screen?
    I'm in the same position - my Toshiba Regza is actually a very good HD performer but I would now like a 40" 4K TV as the bezels are now much smaller.

There is a shortage of decent screens available in this size from my research, as manufacturers seem to be ditching this size in preference for 43".

The only decent option I have found is this Samsung which I hope to be buying soon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D791M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If you wanted to buy second hand, the Panasonic TX40EX700B is now discontinued, but a very well reviewed 4K screen.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I'm in the same position - my Toshiba Regza is actually a very good HD performer but I would now like a 40" 4K TV as the bezels are now much smaller.

There is a shortage of decent screens available in this size from my research, as manufacturers seem to be ditching this size in preference for 43".

The only decent option I have found is this Samsung which I hope to be buying soon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D791M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

If you wanted to buy second hand, the Panasonic TX40EX700B is now discontinued, but a very well reviewed 4K screen.

Make sure you check out the OS before you buy. I went for LG because their Web OS 3.5 is excellent and the optional magic remote superb. It has voice control and acts like a mouse. Just point it at the option on the screen and click!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Make sure you check out the OS before you buy. I went for LG because their Web OS 3.5 is excellent and the optional magic remote superb. It has voice control and acts like a mouse. Just point it at the option on the screen and click!
    The Sony OS was terrible when I tried one of their tvs in Richer sounds. Took forever just to play a file off a flashdrive.

I'm Josie.

Hmm.. Interesting. Sony are normally good at that sort of thing.

I don't think Sony are on the cards anyway, they seem expensive.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm keith.

Getting the next size up is good advice. You very quickly get used to the size of modern TVs and with the bezels being much smaller you can go up in size easily without taking up any extra space.

I'm malcolm.

I also bought a LG 49" 4K HDR smart TV recently which we love, only thing I found was I needed to run an ethernet cable to it as even though it's in same room as router it buffered quite a lot over wifi.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Grant.

cant justify buying a new tv... the ones ive got; samsung and lg are still working fine and are well used. both just hd, but great pics on them, although only 32"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12