+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating from a 37" LCD TV circa 2006

I'm Josie.

Default Updating from a 37" LCD TV circa 2006

Hi all.

Although my trusty 37" TOSHIBA Regza is still going strong I'd like to update to maybe a little larger, and thinner display as the Toshiba is around 4" deep.

Because I've not really been following the technology I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a new screen?

I don't want to spend a lot, in fact it might be fun to see what I can get for not much money. Just want something that would be better quality than the one I have at the mo.

What I'd really like though is something I can plug a hard drive in to so I can record programs as my Huwei Talktalk box is ancient, still works but it's really slow.

Any ideas?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Although my trusty 37" TOSHIBA Regza is still going strong I'd like to update to maybe a little larger, and thinner display as the Toshiba is around 4" deep.

Because I've not really been following the technology I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a new screen?

I don't want to spend a lot, in fact it might be fun to see what I can get for not much money. Just want something that would be better quality than the one I have at the mo.

What I'd really like though is something I can plug a hard drive in to so I can record programs as my Huwei Talktalk box is ancient, still works but it's really slow.

Any ideas?
    I am very pleased with the two LG Smart TVs I recently bought. The LG operating system is particularly good, and the optional smart remote control (about £35 ) with voice remote is excellent. Add in dedicated buttons on the remote for Prime and Netflix and lots of of downloadable apps.

My model has both Freeview and Freesat and the only downside is slow refresh on TV guide. I have WD Passport drive plugged in for recording.

I'm Josie.

Which models would you recommend, Geoff?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Graham.

I bought a Samsung 42" on price and discovered that this particular model was the cheapest because it is designed for use in a pub or reception area - the bluetooth, audio line out etc has been stripped out and it only has one HDMI input socket. Beware that whatever you buy has all of the features, inputs and outputs that you need.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Steve.

Hi Josie
    My 50 inch LG was a bargain.
    4k smart tv for £300 from pc world.
    Plenty hdmi inputs.optical.component and 2 usb.
    Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Geoff.

I bought the 49" model for the lounge It was only £399 including the Richer 6 year warranty. Also bought a smaller version for the bedroom. I am extremely pleased with both.

LG 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
    SKU: LG-49UJ630V
    1 £399.00

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I bought the 49" model for the lounge It was only £399 including the Richer 6 year warranty. Also bought a smaller version for the bedroom. I am extremely pleased with both.

LG 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
    SKU: LG-49UJ630V
    1 £399.00
    Funny a friend was talking about Richersounds last week as we got our TV from them. I didn't know that if you have there extended warranty and don't use it and go back with the receipt they refund you the cost of it, at least they used.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

That is true if you buy the warranty. On TVs most have the warranty included in the price.

I would not buy a TV without a warranty. I bought my previous TV from John Lewis with a warranty and in 5 years needed to use it twice. Excellent service on both occasions with engineer coming to house, removing the TV from wall bracket and taking the set away for repair. Back on both occasions in two days. Would have cost hundreds in parts and labour without warranty.

I'm matt.

Even cheap modern tvs have a good picture these days. Our 49" Blaupunkt has a nice clear picture with bright colours for under £300 iirc. Motion is the the problem with cheaper tvs. I'm used to ours but it's not great compared to a new Sony lcd. Most modern tvs have Youtube. Sonys test video is on there. I think it's called motionflow (camera pans across a load of boats at the start iirc). On a good tv you can read the names of the boats.

EDIT: Just found it.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    . Motion is the the problem with cheaper tvs.
    This is true. My new (bought last year) LG is not as good with fast motion or fast panning as my old Sony rear projection LCD (although it is miles better in every other respect). It was bin end when I got it though so presumably the later ones are better. But the price difference for the same size screen, old model vs new model, was £1600!

I'd say make sure that it has all the inputs and outputs you need and also don't buy the screen size you think you want, get the next size up!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast