+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba SR 370 speed issue

I'm Nick.

Default Toshiba SR 370 speed issue

Hi All

Just recently taken delivery of an Angus modified Audio Technica at 1010 only to find to my bloody annoyance
    that i can't get it to fit on my Technics sl-1210m3d (the under slung counterweight ends up resting on the platter)

So i decided to get my Toshiba sr 370 from out of the loft so i could give the at 1010 a spin, only to find
    the 33rpm speed wont stay stable, i have to alter it after every side played.

If any of you learned people know of a fix for this i would be very grateful.
    Thanks.

Ps, Iv'e cleaned the pots and the 45 rpm is fine.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nickfna View Post
    Hi All

Just recently taken delivery of an Angus modified Audio Technica at 1010 only to find to my bloody annoyance
    that i can't get it to fit on my Technics sl-1210m3d (the under slung counterweight ends up resting on the platter)

So i decided to get my Toshiba sr 370 from out of the loft so i could give the at 1010 a spin, only to find
    the 33rpm speed wont stay stable, i have to alter it after every side played.

If any of you learned people know of a fix for this i would be very grateful.
    Thanks.

Ps, Iv'e cleaned the pots and the 45 rpm is fine.
    Hi Nick,

(the under slung counterweight ends up resting on the platter) - Erm? How? did you mean plinth? I need pics because i cant visualise how that would happnen

Toshy speed issue,

If it has been sat in the loft, id suggest it may need leaving on for a good few hours, just spinning on 33rpm and i suspect you'll find it corrects itself. These old TT's have a habit of throwing a wobbly when they have been out of daily use. My first Toshy did exactly the same and i just left it all day on 33rpm and it was fine although never truly perfect, hence the push to quartz lock.

Pics of the arm on the Techy please

I'm Ian.

Hi Nick,

I agree with Oliver, my current 370 would fluctuate quite a lot when I first got it, it had been stored in a loft for years but it gradually stabilized and is fine now although the strobe is never absolutely still. Hopefully yours will settle with use.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Nick.

Yeah Ollie sorry i meant the plinth

The problem is that the arm collar has to be positioned at least 12mm below plinth level
    That results in the arm sitting flush to the collar which places the counterweight outside the range of the armboard and more importantly
    below the top off the collar,if that makes sense

Thanks for the tip re Toshy speed,i will leave it on overnight and see if that helps.

Will try and post some pics later.
    Cheers.

Bigman80 Guest

Yeah Ollie sorry i meant the plinth

The problem is that the arm collar has to be positioned at least 12mm below plinth level
    That results in the arm sitting flush to the collar which places the counterweight outside the range of the armboard and more importantly
    below the top off the collar,if that makes sense

Thanks for the tip re Toshy speed,i will leave it on overnight and see if that helps.

Will try and post some pics later.
    Cheers.
    Only one thing for it mate. Technics SP10 MK2.

I have no such issues

Bigman80 Guest

Alternatively, and possibly a bit cheaper.

A Teflon cartridge spacer. Add a few mm and gain clearance.

I'm Paul.

Would increasing the mat thickness by putting the mat from the Toshiba under your technics mat help?

I'm Nick.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jkd...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOL...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5F...w?usp=drivesdk

Sorry can't sus out how to attach photos but the links might explain the problem(soz for crappy photos)

Unfortunately the double mat solution still wouldn't be enough even if the tech didn't have a really low spindle.

I have to say that the Toshy is sounding pretty good with my jelco 750 on it, I'm gonna l leave it on for a couple Of weeks then put the 1010 on to get the full wow factor

Ps I've already had a word with Angus about possibly getting a sp10 of him.

Bigman80 Guest

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jkd...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOL...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5F...w?usp=drivesdk

Sorry can't sus out how to attach photos but the links might explain the problem(soz for crappy photos)

Unfortunately the double mat solution still wouldn't be enough even if the tech didn't have a really low spindle.

I have to say that the Toshy is sounding pretty good with my jelco 750 on it, I'm gonna l leave it on for a couple Of weeks then put the 1010 on to get the full wow factor

Ps I've already had a word with Angus about possibly getting a sp10 of him.
    I can't open those links mate. Try hosting via IMGBB. Select Full image.

Ha! Yes, get yourself an SP10 and never worry about the TT again. I love mine. Surprisingly, I got mine from Phonomac too

I'm Geoff.

Can't view the links without opening a Google account.

The SR-370 is an excellent turntable. I have a couple of them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast