+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Smart Meters?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm aware of what I spend on it, but if it's the winter and I'm cold I'm going to put heating on regardless. I don't need a smart meter to tell me that's going to cost more than not having it on. And I'm not going to be uncomfortably cold just to save a few quid. Added to which they can cut you off at the click of a mouse. Or integrate you into a rolling blackout without cutting power to the whole neighbourhood. Sorry but I just don't see any positives to having them at all.
    I'm with Martin on this, I know I'm going to pay more when it gets cold. I don't like wearing thick clothes when relaxing at home so as regarding cost "it is what it is". I don't need a passive meter indicating my energy consumption.

Where necessary I have fitted movement sensors that turn lights on for a predetermined time then off.

Meters are a gimmick under the guise of energy conservation devices. Their actual purpose will eventually be forthcoming.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True but as someone pointed out already, if they screw up and decide you haven't paid even though you have, they can cut you off just like that. If they want to cut me off they have to send out gadgees to dig up the street. What's that going to cost them? I don't like the idea that it's so simple for them to cut you off.

Anyway they said they have to fit mine outside and because of that I have to pay a grand. Told them they were dreaming.
    a grand is a wee bit excessive...and they are not a meter, I'd like to have outside...anyone who's moaning about being cut off...is cut off for a reason....My small information box of tricks...tells me how much is on the meter...an amber warning light tells when it's low...and a red light...if you drop below a couple of quid...up to now...there hasn't been a single problem...I hope what has been reiterated through the thread doesn't raise its ugly head...and I'm very sceptical, that something like this will happen...touch wood...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    a grand is a wee bit excessive...and they are not a meter, I'd like to have outside...anyone who's moaning about being cut off...is cut off for a reason....My small information box of tricks...tells me how much is on the meter...an amber warning light tells when it's low...and a red light...if you drop below a couple of quid...up to now...there hasn't been a single problem...I hope what has been reiterated through the thread doesn't raise its ugly head...and I'm very sceptical, that something like this will happen...touch wood...
    Surely if your on a pay up front meter you are paying the highest tariffs the supplier can get away with?

Would a different payment method be a more economic solution ?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    ..and I'm very sceptical, that something like this will happen...touch wood...
    So am I, but my thinking is we move from a position from where it is not possible for it to happen to one where it is possible, however unlikely. I don't see an up side to that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I'm with Martin on this, I know I'm going to pay more when it gets cold. I don't like wearing thick clothes when relaxing at home so as regarding cost "it is what it is". I don't need a passive meter indicating my energy consumption.

Where necessary I have fitted movement sensors that turn lights on for a predetermined time then off.

Meters are a gimmick under the guise of energy conservation devices. Their actual purpose will eventually be forthcoming.

Gary
    Data.

That's what it is. Data. Your personal data and it's worth a fortune.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

It's honestly cheap as chips...I'm as tight as a ducks arse...If I was being ripped...I'd be off

[QUOTE=Stryder5;1040176]Surely if your on a pay up front meter you are paying the highest tariffs the supplier can get away with?

Would a different payment method be a more economic solution ?

Gary[/QUOT
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Geoff.

Just put a chicken wire faraday cage around your meter. That'll fox 'em.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345