+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smart Meters?

I'm Robert.

My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Alan.

what a load of tosh..... there's masts all over the place in most petrol stations inside the big pricing signs....for mobile phones...our house phones are radio phones...wireless routers...dacs...music servers and streamers...just about everything is wireless...even in our cars...we should all be fried according to all the scare mongerers..who have thier own agendas..or just love to here themselves..perhaps we'll refuse to use all our wireless stuff too....everything we do is killing us....fuel exhaust fumes...vapour trails from planes...radio waves...eggs..pretendy sugar..milk..red meat..soya protein..sat navs..the sun...the ozone..the water..food aditives.....road rage. etc etc etc...
    Last edited by mad-moon; 13-12-2018 at 00:01.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eisenach View Post
    ... and, if I've understood correctly, they rely on a mobile phone signal to communicate with base, so that won't work here, then!

No fast internet, no mobile phone signal, wobbly electricity ... but great quality of life.
    No, they rely on wifi, they piggyback on BT network.

The US youtube videos are a load of nonsense.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No, they rely on wifi, they piggyback on BT network.

The US youtube videos are a load of nonsense.
    No they don't, they can't use WiFi, mobile phone network only. No signal no smart meter.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Neal.

Yup, they use the DCC GSM (mobile) based network to communicate, they are are not connected to the internet or your home WiFi. They do use their own internal 2.4Ghz Zigbee network though to communicate with the displays/read outs etc. Maybe this is where the confusion comes from.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    what a load of tosh..... there's masts all over the place in most petrol stations inside the big pricing signs....for mobile phones...our house phones are radio phones...wireless routers...dacs...music servers and streamers...just about everything is wireless...even in our cars...we should all be fried according to all the scare mongerers..who have thier own agendas..or just love to here themselves..perhaps we'll refuse to use all our wireless stuff too....everything we do is killing us....fuel exhaust fumes...vapour trails from planes...radio waves...eggs..pretendy sugar..milk..red meat..soya protein..sat navs..the sun...the ozone..the water..food aditives.....road rage. etc etc etc...
    It was the titles that caught my eye and I'm glad someones viewed them as I didnt, couldnt be asked as I dont intend on getting one anyway
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Alex.

My view is avoid as long as possible. One reason is that domestic dumb meters read true power. Smart meters can, and most likely will, be set to read aparrent power. That means they can charge us more electricity if an appliance has a poor power factor.

They can also charge at different rates during the day, so likely will change big money in the evening when demand is more.

They can cut you off remotely if there is a dispute about charges etc.

Many other reasons to avoid.
    Spendorman

I'm Alan.

Anyway getting back to the OP's question...the answer is no...the smart meter will not have any negative effect on your hifi gear...

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Thanks for everyone's replies, but I think my post has been mis-interpreted, my wording was not so good. My intention was to ask if a smart meter had any negatives re hifi systems and sound quality. That was the reason I posted the thread in Blank Canvas. Apologies for misleading everyone. I can remember reading a negative many moons ago, but before agreeing to have a smart meter put in now thought I would ask here first.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    No they don't, they can't use WiFi, mobile phone network only. No signal no smart meter.
    I stand corrected.

I'm David.

Again thanks for all the replies, I've learnt something. Think we will hold off for now and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast