+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Nottingham

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
    They are great speakers, but a little lacking at the low end.

I use a Burson Timekeeper virtuoso and also CV2+ for the preamp function, also occasionally a heavily modded Eastern Electric Minimax (Burson v6 opamps + recap)

I'm looking towards getting a lower powered amp (either SS class A or Tube) and some larger speakers (talking a decent size cone and high efficiency)

Musically I'm everywhere - Classical through to Melodic Death Metal - wouldn't like to pick a favourite!
    You have a good system there with a very powerful poweramp and there is a real danger of making a change rather than an improvement. You say that you like the sound of the LS50s other than their lack of bass extension. I like the LS50s too. They remind me very much of a modern version of my 40 year old LS35a's but they have a very distinctive sound. If you go for a lower powered amp you will not have the same control over the LS50s and I am guessing that the bass performance will be reduced. What are the specific aspects of the sound that you are looking to improve on?

I'm Greg.

The Kef's are astonishing value for what they provide, but I find the transparency and also low bass not quite good enough - there is only so much you can do with a small enclosure and cone - I noticed this changing from another larger pair of speakers. I'm about to move into a house with a 6m x 6m lounge and I think these will struggle

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
    The Kef's are astonishing value for what they provide, but I find the transparency and also low bass not quite good enough - there is only so much you can do with a small enclosure and cone - I noticed this changing from another larger pair of speakers. I'm about to move into a house with a 6m x 6m lounge and I think these will struggle
    You might want to check out Maggies. I would recommend the model I have (the 1.7) but only because you have an amp that is up to the task of driving them. They will really perform in a room of that size. I know, I have used Maggeies in very large rooms and they come alive in such environments.

Otherwise I would look at something like these: https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/produc...speakers-pair/

I have a pair of the slightly smaller model with Alnico drive units and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Do not be fooled by the size of the full range driver. These go low and have real speed and slam. Unlike my Maggies they can be driven well by good valve amplification.

I'm Greg.

The Omega Super Alnico look interesting - I'm planning on doing some auditioning but it's always useful to get some opinions before lugging equipment somewhere to audition - I've heard the maggies mentioned a lot in the past too - interesting options there!

I'm Geoff.

The Omega range is excellent. Their full range drivers, and especially the Alnico drivers, are fast, detailed and highly efficient. In many respects, they share the qualities of planar or electrostatic speakers, and being a point source they image superbly. They are particularly popular with those using valve amps including SETs due to their high efficiency.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12