+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good driver? How do you define?

I'm Gary.

I think the three main things that make a good driver are observation, anticipation and consideration, practice those and you're most of the way there. Sadly the majority of drivers have none of those skills.

I'm beginning to think today's bad driving is more to do with bad attitude than anything, people have this sense of self entitlement that makes them think they can do whatever they like.
    The establishment and media don't help either, I remember years ago we had a whole raft of road safety adverts on TV covering everything from lane discipline on roundabouts to reverse parking, today its speed and nothing else, drivers are brainwashed into believing that if they're not seeing thay must be a safe driver. Wrong
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Timothy.

There are a lot of good points mentioned in these posts. I would maybe also just add that it seems these days folks are just stressed to the max over a gazillion things, just life in general. So many things work related, money, spouse, kids, just about anything. Doesn’t make it right, but some of it probably comes out in the driving, unfortunately.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    There are a lot of good points mentioned in these posts. I would maybe also just add that it seems these days folks are just stressed to the max over a gazillion things, just life in general. So many things work related, money, spouse, kids, just about anything. Doesn’t make it right, but some of it probably comes out in the driving, unfortunately.
    let's face it, people are just unbalanced these days... according to latest statistics mental health problems are rife!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Doesn't help a lot when some goon does a multi lane change straight across your bows at speed on the M25 in heavy traffic. Plenty of idiots like that about who's behaviour just can't be predicted.
    on reflection..If the goon had been patient? like most other drivers...could he have been counted as a good driver?..That's the problem with society today...everything is 100 miles per hour ....fast cars..fast food..fast everything
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I think the three main things that make a good driver are observation, anticipation and consideration, practice those and you're most of the way there. Sadly the majority of drivers have none of those skills.

I'm beginning to think today's bad driving is more to do with bad attitude than anything, people have this sense of self entitlement that makes them think they can do whatever they like.
    The establishment and media don't help either, I remember years ago we had a whole raft of road safety adverts on TV covering everything from lane discipline on roundabouts to reverse parking, today its speed and nothing else, drivers are brainwashed into believing that if they're not seeing thay must be a safe driver. Wrong
    ^^^ This

And also keeping in mind that driving is a privilege and not a 'right'. The arrogance and lack of consideration shown by many drivers today is astonishing.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Gary.

People think they can just do whatever they want, "I want to drive in this lane" or "I want to park here" with absolutely no thought for anyone else.

I used to live near a busy hospital where we had huge problems with inconsiderate parking. One morning a Mini parked halfway across my drive, I left a note on the windscreen, next morning same car, same place. Following bit is slightly sad but I decided to follow the driver (woman in her 50s) home and block her drive. It worked perfectly, as she got out of her car I pulled halfway across her drive, got out of the car & was about to walk away when she calls after me saying "you can't park there"
    It got better when her husband and a neighbour came out and ranted about how inconsiderate it was and my car should be crushed etc, their faces were a picture when I showed them photographs of her car parked across my drive in exactly the same manner. Her response was "well I work in the hospital so I have to park somewhere"
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Alan.

People think they can just do whatever they want, "I want to drive in this lane" or "I want to park here" with absolutely no thought for anyone else.

I used to live near a busy hospital where we had huge problems with inconsiderate parking. One morning a Mini parked halfway across my drive, I left a note on the windscreen, next morning same car, same place. Following bit is slightly sad but I decided to follow the driver (woman in her 50s) home and block her drive. It worked perfectly, as she got out of her car I pulled halfway across her drive, got out of the car & was about to walk away when she calls after me saying "you can't park there"
    It got better when her husband and a neighbour came out and ranted about how inconsiderate it was and my car should be crushed etc, their faces were a picture when I showed them photographs of her car parked across my drive in exactly the same manner. Her response was "well I work in the hospital so I have to park somewhere"
    priceless
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Steve.

Well done Gary, that's what's needed, direct action! I'd be tempted to let their tyres down, but the only problem is that the car will be stuck in front of your drive until they can find someone with the gumption to fix them - and that could take a while.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234