+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering building some speaker cabinets

I'm Ian.

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve. I agree with the other folks who suggest you don't mess with the cabinet dimensions. You say the cabinets are slightly tatty so is this what you are trying to improve? Maybe you just want some fun! Looking at the images of the Cresta 10 the cutouts for the drivers overlap and I dare say Kef did this on purpose to keep the drivers as close together as possible. If you really want to make new cabinets rather than trying to tidy up what you have then maybe you should consider extracting the front baffle to make things a little easier for your build.

Good luck.

I'm Gary.

I am only doing it for a bit of to see what happens really.

I'm having all kinds of crazy ideas like mini transmission lines but just guessing at dimensions.

What's the worst than happen?
    Apart from wasting a few hours and £20 worth of wood
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Gary.

Although my other plan is a new plinth for my turntable
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I am only doing it for a bit of to see what happens really.

I'm having all kinds of crazy ideas like mini transmission lines but just guessing at dimensions.

What's the worst than happen?
    Apart from wasting a few hours and £20 worth of wood
    Go for it and have a bit of fun. Never mind the rightness or wrongness of what you may do. Actually, if the bass drivers have sufficient magnet damping to control a bass reflex box, then they will likely also be OK in the small transmission line cabinet you were thinking of. The existing crossover will probably work in that too. Go for a quarter wave line about 5.5 feet long and it may just work fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You could keep the same internal dimensions and the port but make the new cab walls really thick with all the wood you've got. That would be interesting to see how it worked out.

Yes that would be fine. Just increase the depth of the cabinet to make up for the lost volume.

I'd add lots of bracing (or experiment with constrained layer damping) line the walls with something like wool underlay or 1" thick acoustic foam. I find that it improves the bass but doesn't reduce it (assuming its kept away from the port and woofer)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12