+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering building some speaker cabinets

I'm Gary.

Default Considering building some speaker cabinets

I have 3 sheets of 18mm Russian birch ply, 39x84cm plus 5 offcuts 25x39cm left over from a project.
    I also have a pair of unused Kef Cresta 10s with slightly tatty cabinets.
    Now I'm thinking to myself that I could build some cabinets to stick the Kef speakers and crossovers into, and I'm thinking of making them bigger than the originals just to use the wood up.
    I know absolutely nothing about speaker design other than I need a box with two holes in the front for the speakers and one in the back for the cable connection thingy. I also fancy making them either sealed enclosure or front ported so they can go against a back wall if needed.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Where would you like me to start?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Making them bigger with a sealed cab will give more bass extension down to lower frequency, but at a lower level. But it should work.

Making them bigger and keeping the port is more complicated. Probably best to avoid attempting that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

yeah, lots alas; thats not to say it wont work either but it will be in the lap of the Gods unless you have info of someone changing the size/porting of the originals.
    Probably best sticking to the approximate size and port of the old one if you want to be sure.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah, lots alas; thats not to say it wont work either but it will be in the lap of the Gods unless you have info of someone changing the size/porting of the originals.
    Probably best sticking to the approximate size and port of the old one if you want to be sure.
    Keeping the same crossovers doesn't give much room for maneuverer, was my thinking.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

This is the crossover. For a two way speaker it is reasonably complex.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

I'd build them with the same baffle dimensions and internal volume. Drivers need to be in the same position on the baffle and port needs to be the same (although it's fine to experiment with the port length). You can change the port position if you want. Keep any stuffing well away from port and bass driver. Have fun!

I'm Gary.

I can always add a port after I suppose?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I can always add a port after I suppose?
    Unless the existing port is tuned to a very low frequency, you'll get no bass with a sealed box. Wont do any harm to try though.

I'm Martin.

You could keep the same internal dimensions and the port but make the new cab walls really thick with all the wood you've got. That would be interesting to see how it worked out.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast