+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Van damme Pro Grade XKE

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Damn right .... should be about £16 - £20 a pair tops (for 1 meter with Neutrik) .... and you get to choose your colour scheme

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme...9j4w:rk:9:pf:0
    Agree thats the cable alright and yes what a rip off, you have got to be careful what and who you buy off on ebay.

Todays results on the burn in period are : Trebles are no where near as harsh and lost that high frequency brightness on Female Country, the same FLAC tracks I played on Saturday, so pleased with the Van Damme Pro Grade XKE cable, so I've ordered 20m to do the odd mix and match of other RCA's

Thanks for your comments

I'm Dave.

What solder are we using to solder up the RCA connections with ? everything now is lead free even the silver solder, I had some old silver solder but thats gone now.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    What solder are we using to solder up the RCA connections with ? everything now is lead free even the silver solder, I had some old silver solder but thats gone now.
    I still use Tin/Lead 60/40 .... got a 100g roll off eBay a few years back after trying 'lead free' (absolute shit IMO ...)

I'm Dave.

Thanks Mike thats my thoughts

I'm inactive.

I still use Tin/Lead 60/40 .... got a 100g roll off eBay a few years back after trying 'lead free' (absolute shit IMO ...)

... and it's still available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100g-REEL...5Sj3:rk:4:pf:0

I'm Dave.

Just ordered one up, so roll on the cable and RCA Connectors, thanks

I'm Deleted.

You can still buy 60/40 solder no problem - RS Components have it, for example. It is only SMD and flow soldering that requires companies to use lead free.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Damn right .... should be about £16 - £20 a pair tops (for 1 meter with Neutrik) .... and you get to choose your colour scheme

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme...9j4w:rk:9:pf:0

Agreed - there are too many people making up interconnects and charging up to 10x the cost of the materials.

In the past I've made up dozens of unblanced interconnects using quality coaxial cable from various manufacturers (Belden, Huber & Shuner, Amphenol, Times Wire, BICC, Klotz, Van Damme, Mogami, Trompeter) and all have been excellent. I have heard only one cable which has sounded slightly different, but not necessarily better, and that was a £600 set of Chord ARAY cables. I made a 'Chinese copy' for about £15.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

What is the "Array" part of the Chord cables ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What is the "Array" part of the Chord cables ?
    The cable I heard (and copied) used a pair of coaxial cables wired 'shotgun' style (that is: the inner conductor of one is used for the signal, and the inner conductor of the second is used for the return. The shielding of each coaxial cable is insulated from the other but they are joined together at each end. A separate flying earth lead is connected to the junction at one end).

What intrigued me was the way vocals were projected out from the speakers - a phenomemnon I have not heard before with any other cable. Noticably different but not necessarily better. I don't use them as they are too bulky and inflexible - and I now have a system which largely uses balanced-line cables.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast