+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pros and cons of the differen Jelco SA-750x arm lengths

I'm Trevor.

Default Pros and cons of the differen Jelco SA-750x arm lengths

Hi Everyone,

I'm putting together a new turntable project, based on a Technics SP-10mk2 which I'm in the process of refurbishing. Once complete, the table will be mounted in a custom plinth.

I was originally planning on using a Jelco SA-750D tonearm for this project, but since the plinth I'm building will be fairly large, I could easily accomidate one of the longer versions such as the SA-750E (10") or SA-750L (12"). Can anyone comment on what the pros and cons of each would be? The difference in price between these arms is not really significant from the Canadian Dealer who I'd be purchasing from.

Ideally I'd like the arm I purchase to be compatible with a wide range of caridges. I currently own a Dynavector XX2 which I'd like to be able to use with this setup as well

Thanks in advance,
    Trevor

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Trevor

Well i think it would be a good move to go for a 12 inch Jelco , Guy Sergeant of Puresound posts on here has just acquired one of these arms and uses an SP10 mk2 .

Another arm to consider ' perhaps an SME 312 if you can stretch to it ! .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Trevor.

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately a SME is definately beyond my budget at this point. I guess I was wondering if going with a 10" might be adventagous for catridge matching as it wouldn't be as high mass as the 12".

I use a 750E, it's a good compromise between length and mass. You have 21g of mass compared to 26g of the 12", but greater effective length than the 9". At 9.5 resfreq you should be fine with the your xx2.
    Nick.

I'm Trevor.

Thanks scoobs...I was kind of wondering if the 10" might be the sweet spot.

+ Reply to Thread