+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braun shavers

I'm Dave.

Default Braun shavers

For many years I have been using Braun shavers and the past 7 years a Braun Series 7. Now, I have always been pleased with the performance of Braun but the past two years or so, I am finding that the cutters last only a few weeks before needing to be changed.

In the past, the cutters remained sharp and gave a good, clean shave for a couple of years before needing to be changed. Indeed, the shaver has a warning light to let you know the cutters have been going for 18 months and should be replaced. Lately, I find that the cutters are sharp for only a couple of months at most and then need replacing. I have bought cutters complete with foil from Shavers UK and the last two from Boots - reputable companies and the cutters should be legitimate and not cheap knock offs.

The latest cutter/foil replacement I started to use at the beginning of October and from a couple of weeks ago is removing so little of my stubble that I feel I need a shave right after I have finished shaving. I can see by how little stubble is banged out in the sink, that it is hardly removing anything.

Anyone have the same problem or have any advice because these cutters are expensive.

I'm Grant.

I read this a few weeks ago... gives an idea as to why the blunt early sometimes

https://www.shaverguide.co.uk/do-ele...vers-go-blunt/
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Had 1 replacement on my Series 7
    Took a punt on the cheapest on Ebay from South Korea
    Seems fine after about 6 months
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have four Braun shavers: one portable battery operated device; two dual voltage devices and a single voltage rechargeable device. The one I use regularly here in the UK is about twenty years old and is good as it has ever been. That's not to say I haven't had to replace the foil - I have, because with time and a lot of use the holes in the foil can break into one another, making shaving uncomfortable. But I have only had to do it twice.

IMO, there is no excuse for the cutter head (and by that, I take it to mean the foil) to need replacing every couple of months. Sounds like Braun are doing a bit of 'cost cutting'.

The whole point of 'dry shaving' is that it is quick and convenient. If you are going to have to go to the bother of preparing the skin with hot water or some sort of pre-shave oil, then you may as well go the whole hog and wet shave - which will give you a closer shave than using an electric razor.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Default Braun shavers

Son has been using his series 7 for a year and says it's good as new
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

I can't see how I can possibly do anything wrong. As I said, I've had this Series 7 for several years with no problems at all, it's just the cutters and foil I have bought the past two years which wear out in a few weeks. I'm not Desperate Dan with a tough beard, just normal stubble.

Is there an adjustment I'm missing on the shaver itself or are Braun making inferior cutters ?

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I can't see how I can possibly do anything wrong. As I said, I've had this Series 7 for several years with no problems at all, it's just the cutters and foil I have bought the past two years which wear out in a few weeks. I'm not Desperate Dan with a tough beard, just normal stubble.

Is there an adjustment I'm missing on the shaver itself or are Braun making inferior cutters ?
    Suspect the latter as a cost saving exercise.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Might be a cheap Chinese copy new blades. Ive not got to this stage yet. Nightmare scenario
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Might be a cheap Chinese copy new blades. Ive not got to this stage yet. Nightmare scenario
    I wondered if they wre cheap Chinese copies, so I ordered from Boots who would source them properly but they last only a couple of months at best.

Are the Braun shavers now made in China? It wouldn't surprise me: my partner just bought herself a set of Sony headphones that are made in China. Not that it should make a difference if Braun have full control over the sourcing of materials, the construction and quality control.

All of mine were made in Germany.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast