+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Budget Bookshelf Speakers

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    As a normally non Monitor Audio fan the Bronze 2s are actually pretty good, I would personally rate them over Q Acoustics. They are not as shouty or as etched as a lot of newer MA speakers. The Quad S1 (or S2) is also very good, nice midrange which has definite Quad sounding characteristics. The ribbon tweeter I feel gives them an edge in this price range.

Both are under your budget, but if I was spending around 500, I would probably stretch a bit further and put the Quad S2 (£599) at the top of my listening list. But the S1 at 499 I think is a bit of a bargain.

That's new though, I'd be tempted to look around S/H with 500 to play with.
    Thanks for that, Tim. Will keep an eye out for some Bronze 2's.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Depending on how you plan to place these and how full a bass you are looking for, I would look at the Martin Logan Motion series. They are designed for wall mounting and come with a special fitting. At their price they are exceptional. They have an air motion tweeter which ensures speed, detail, dynamics and an out of the box projection that exceeds my LS3/5a's.

I bought a pair of the Motion 2 speakers which I use as a portable system and a bedroom system when I am not travelling. These may be a bit bass light for some so that the Motion 4i may be a better choice. The latter will be around your price level, but are hard to find in the UK.

I'm tony.

I would contact Colin Topps (TOPPSY) at Reiver acoustic and ask if he builds anything near your budget, He used to build a stand mounter.

Dont see one on theyre site but well worth an enquiry.

Colin's speakers will bang for buck outperform anything commercial.

I'm James.

Got some usher s520's in private exhibitions, £165 delivered
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Got some usher s520's in private exhibitions, £165 delivered

Had a pair once before. Didn't really get on with them.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Ian.

A bit leftfield but these are truly excellent.

https://wellroundedsound.com/collect...onitor-2-way-1

Mark at Malvern Audio Research sells them in the UK. He used this model at the Leamington Spa Audio Show earlier this year on the end of Ming Da valve amps and they sounded superb. It was quite amusing to watch folk coming in and looking behind display boards for the subwoofer which didn't exist!
    I better declare I was helping Mark at the show but it was my first exposure to these speakers and after a day of listening to them I was still very impressed.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Had a pair once before. Didn't really get on with them.

S.
    I must admit it took me a while to like them,had them on the end of some pioneer amp, I forget which, not bad, quad 306 was good but most recent was a cambridge azura 561w which has been great
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Colin.

I tried a few recently as I needed some small stand mount I got a pair of Polk s20 I think I paid around £140brand new and love them. Great bass for a small speaker.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Try Q Acoustics Concept 20s they’re unbeatable for the money, love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that a XiangSheng?

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    Is that a XiangSheng?

Enviado do meu HTC_M10h através do Tapatalk
    It was before it went faulty, it was a nightmare, good riddance, the photo is from 5-6 months ago, the XS DAC and Amptastic Mini have been replaced with an Eu spec (as opposed to UK spec) Onkyo A-9010 amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast