+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoy Upgrade - as recommended by Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Flippin eck ...that's a good likeness Jerry

TBH I thought Mike's system sounded top class before these upgrades
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Flippin eck ...that's a good likeness Jerry

TBH I thought Mike's system sounded top class before these upgrades
    Thanks Brian, I think I've gotten more out of it now that I've changed the phono stage, new cartridge and upgraded the Tannoys

Edit: more to how I want it to sound I mean

Still don't think it'll make John Martyn sound any better though
    Last edited by mikeyb; 18-01-2019 at 12:03.

I'm Andrew.

The XO's typically take about 15-30 to kick in. I had the same problem with mine, I wondered what the hell I'd done and then overnight they just seem to come alive. No looking back now.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the update Mike. I suppose it's something of a gamble to alter the character of a speaker when you're already happy with the way they are. That's where I am at the moment.
    Something to consider I think for the future.
    Simon.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The XO's typically take about 15-30 to kick in. I had the same problem with mine, I wondered what the hell I'd done and then overnight they just seem to come alive. No looking back now.
    Yip mine were the same

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Thanks for the update Mike. I suppose it's something of a gamble to alter the character of a speaker when you're already happy with the way they are. That's where I am at the moment.
    Something to consider I think for the future.
    That was the same situation I was in but I thought when the hell, can't make them worse, I've probably averaged more hours a day listening to them than I did before the update.

Mind you I could have saved a bit of cash getting plain boxes but I liked the look of the veneer ones so much I had to have them just in case they would be on display.

I'm Mike.

Just a heads up for anyone trying to get in touch with Paul Coupe from RFC

His father passed away this morning so he might not be contactable for the next few days for obvious reasons.

I'm charles.

Hi Mike, Read your thread with interest as I'm soon to start rebuilding the XO for my Monitor Golds.

Looking at pics of your room I notice that you could improve performance further. The smaller the room the more important the room treatment. What you could try just to get an idea the difference it would make is to get two mattresses and lie one either side of the room. In your case they would be quite close to each speaker. The highly reflective radiator is not doing you any favours.

If sound is left to decay naturally it bounces around the room and in addition to the direct sound you get delayed reflections at your ears causing congestion and smear, playing havoc with detail and imaging. Its a fun experiment but family could complain if left there for too long

The mattress will not be a true broad-band absorber but you will hear the potential. I got some fabric printed with an artistic scene of a jazz band to cover my frames and they add to the room. Wife loves them.

There is lots of info on the net regarding room treatment.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the help, not much I'll be able to do regards acoustic stuff I'm afraid. Although this room is narrow at the Hi-Fi end it opens up into the main part of that living room and I tend to sit about 9m away so imaging isn't an issue for me.

I'm Lloyd.

This has been really interesting to read as i'm thinking over deeply about getting some Berkleys ...thanks all for posting in this thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast