+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: My Tannoy Upgrade - as recommended by Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Not at all, happy to help.

I decided on no glue mostly because I didn't have any to hand and I had plenty decking screws left over from another job
    I think i'm going to go screws and glue as i already have some to hand ...

I'm Lloyd.

A further question here for MikeyB or all ... any quick wins on getting the remaining foam off the inside of the cabinet walls i've peeled it all off but little bits are left i'm going at it pickling with my fingers and also trying a wallpaper scraper thats metal bladed which is getting there very very slowly with lots of elbow grease ... that might be the way to go ..but as i'm into the 2nd hour today thought i'd post incase i'm missing a trick ...but i do know MikeyB did say it was a pita to do ...

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post
    A further question here for MikeyB or all ... any quick wins on getting the remaining foam off the inside of the cabinet walls i've peeled it all off but little bits are left i'm going at it pickling with my fingers and also trying a wallpaper scraper thats metal bladed which is getting there very very slowly with lots of elbow grease ... that might be the way to go ..but as i'm into the 2nd hour today thought i'd post incase i'm missing a trick ...but i do know MikeyB did say it was a pita to do ...
    I used a chisel making sure not to do it with much angle to avoid digging into the wood. Make sure the chisel still has a sharp edge.

Don't try to remove the black sound deadening material. That is there for eternity.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I used a chisel making sure not to do it with much angle to avoid digging into the wood. Make sure the chisel still has a sharp edge.

Don't try to remove the black sound deadening material. That is there for eternity.

§
    There is nothing under the foam in mine ... and a chisel is a great tip ...thanks .... this is the first step then bracing (as Paul a RFC has advised me on then Silent coat ...then Wedge foam as a final step and somewhere in the mix i will be sorting out the outside as they have a few scrapes and water marks ...

many thanks Edward....

I'm Lloyd.

Not at all, happy to help.

I decided on no glue mostly because I didn't have any to hand and I had plenty decking screws left over from another job
    Hi Mikeyb....just a thought if i have enough Silent coat should i be wrapping the port tubes in it ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post
    Hi Mikeyb....just a thought if i have enough Silent coat should i be wrapping the port tubes in it ?
    I've no idea to be honest, I'll leave that one up to someone else to answer.

I'm Philip.

Lovely looking Berkeley’s at the beginning of this post. I did the classic “reads two pages before realising how old the thread is” move. Good luck with everyone’s upgrades, the HPD’s are excellent speakers.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

I'm Lloyd.

I've no idea to be honest, I'll leave that one up to someone else to answer.
    Ok Mike... over to anyone else to add thoughts almost got the first speaker clean of foam ...

I'm Edward.

I did not bother. Can't recall if I asked Paul about that. In any event I suspect it is not needed and/or possibly could change the tuning.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I did not bother. Can't recall if I asked Paul about that. In any event I suspect it is not needed and/or possibly could change the tuning.
    I had thoughts along those lines.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast