+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoy Upgrade - as recommended by Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components

I'm Geoff.

I'd be more inclined to brace side to side and back to front internally in a couple of places. More effective and occupies less cabinet volume. You can even bond the braces to each other where they cross for even more stiffness and they don't need to be big and bulky to work.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Not sure about that, they already have bracing around the middle anyway and what I fitted on advice from Paul at RFC was just to add it there, I would think if it needed more he would have said so.
    Good point Mike .... i'll drop Paul a line to ask if there's any downside or upside to extra bracing ...

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd be more inclined to brace side to side and back to front internally in a couple of places. More effective and occupies less cabinet volume. You can even bond the braces to each other where they cross for even more stiffness and they don't need to be big and bulky to work.
    Thanks for the thoughts and as all this is new to me you have helped greatly ...i've ordered the foam, silent coat and spray on glue as MikeyB did and Paul confirmed was the right stuff to get ...so all i now need to do before actually getting into action is decide upon the wood bracing ...

once again thanks all for your comments and by all means keep your knowledge sharing coming ...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Swann36 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts and as all this is new to me you have helped greatly ...i've ordered the foam, silent coat and spray on glue as MikeyB did and Paul confirmed was the right stuff to get ...so all i now need to do before actually getting into action is decide upon the wood bracing ...

once again thanks all for your comments and by all means keep your knowledge sharing coming ...
    Make sure you've ordered the wedge foam NOT the eggbox one

I'm Lloyd.

Make sure you've ordered the wedge foam NOT the eggbox one
    I did after re-reading this thread a few times ....i've ordered EQ Acoustics Premium Acoustic Foam Tile Kit, 16 Pack, 30 x 30 x 5cm Classic Wedge Tiles... i think you ordered 24 tiles .. they only had 16's so i've got 1 pack of 16 first and i'll do 1 speaker and see how many tiles that uses ...i'm expecting to have to order another pack tbh...but as its next day delivery its not an issue ..

I'm Lloyd.

I did after re-reading this thread a few times ....i've ordered EQ Acoustics Premium Acoustic Foam Tile Kit, 16 Pack, 30 x 30 x 5cm Classic Wedge Tiles... i think you ordered 24 tiles .. they only had 16's so i've got 1 pack of 16 first and i'll do 1 speaker and see how many tiles that uses ...i'm expecting to have to order another pack tbh...but as its next day delivery its not an issue ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Lloyd.

Not sure about that, they already have bracing around the middle anyway and what I fitted on advice from Paul at RFC was just to add it there, I would think if it needed more he would have said so.
    Thanks for all your help so far .... Paul has suggested if i want i could add a 2nd brace just above the driver mirroring the one you did below it ...a further quick question the bracing you added glued or screwed or both ? ...

I'm Mike.

Thanks for all your help so far .... Paul has suggested if i want i could add a 2nd brace just above the driver mirroring the one you did below it ...a further quick question the bracing you added glued or screwed or both ? ...
    I just used screws

I'm Lloyd.

I just used screws
    Thanks Mike ..... sorry for the simple questions ..this is my first time doing any work on speakers
    Last edited by Swann36; 14-07-2020 at 10:35. Reason: missed a word out

I'm Mike.

Thanks Mike ..... sorry for the simple questions ..this is my first time doing any work on speakers
    Not at all, happy to help.

I decided on no glue mostly because I didn't have any to hand and I had plenty decking screws left over from another job

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast