+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Tannoy Upgrade - as recommended by Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components

I'm Mike.

Default My Tannoy Upgrade - as recommended by Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components

Latest project is to improve the internals of my Tannoy Berkeley speakers prior to installing external crossovers, although I'll need to find some wood for internal bracing before I start using the items listed here.

My external crossovers from Paul @ Reference Fidelity Components will be here on Monday so I'm really excited about that having mulled over the decision to order them for nearly a year, I finally decided to order them a few weeks ago. I've gone for Paul's top model.

Biggest issue is moving ALL the kit to tidy up all the cabling and sorting the kit stand as this will be the final setup once done. I DON'T want to see any cabling etc once it's all tidied, but I have plans for that too.

So.... Screwing, hammering, drilling to be done, what COULD possibly go wrong

Last edited by mikeyb; 09-12-2018 at 11:55.

I'm John.

Excellent project Mike. I replaced the capacitors in my HPD crossovers and there was a massive difference. The midrange became so natural I realised there had been a slight shrillness all along. Image stability improved too. They took about 15 hrs to run in though, sounded dull and flat with no bass punch at first. Paul’s top model should be a few leagues above this, I think you’ll be gob smacked.

Anyway, happy modding!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Excellent project Mike. I replaced the capacitors in my HPD crossovers and there was a massive difference. The midrange became so natural I realised there had been a slight shrillness all along. Image stability improved too. They took about 15 hrs to run in though, sounded dull and flat with no bass punch at first. Anyway, happy modding!
    I've been warned to give them some time. Really looking forward to getting them done, not that keen on the process in case I damage something, plus I want it done yesterday

I'm tony.

Hope this goes well...take it steady.

Glad you went for the top notch cross overs....reckon once they are run in they will be a palpable upgrade.

Keep us posted.

I'm Mike.

A few hours ago

I'm Mike.

And then......

I'm Mike.

Much later......

I'm Mike.

So that's the foam removed from one speaker, I'll need to do the other one and then source some 2" x 3/4" or 2" x 1/2" strapping for the extra bracing.

Going to try and get the speakers ready by Monday when the new crossovers will arrive. Then it will just be a case of plugging them in and then sorting/tidying the cabling behind the unit the kit sits on.

I'm Geoff.

What are you going to replace the foam with Mike?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Hope this goes well...take it steady.

Glad you went for the top notch cross overs....reckon once they are run in they will be a palpable upgrade.

Keep us posted.
    Yeah I figured might as well get the best I couldn't afford lol.

Looking forward to having them finished, mind you my power amp is still away for repair and no word of return yet, 4 weeks and counting, at this rate I don't expect to see it back before Xmas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast