+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonomac – AT1010 MK6

Bigman80 Guest

Default Phonomac – AT1010 MK6

I am not going to lie, I am finding this difficult.

How do you review/critique/opine on a piece of equipment that sounds like nothing? Has no noticeable faults? Is not viable for any honest criticism at all? That’s how I feel listening to this arm. The real problem I suppose is how do I keep finding superlatives to accurately describe it.

What Angus has done, is a stroke of genius. I was delighted with the MK5 and have/had absolutely no qualms banging on about how good it was/is. That said, the MK6 is, and I am in no doubt about this, substantially improved in comparison. How is this done?

The MK5 was made of some sort of polymer that Angus found. It was the stiffest, suitable material he could find HOWEVER what came to light was a little surprising. There was an issue of sorts. At room temperature the material absorbed atmospheric moisture meaning it lost a % of its stiffness. Whilst minimal, this was something that Angus (perfectionist) was not happy to live with. This began the hunt for the material that would eventually form the MK6.

A Carbon fibre-based material would become the material of choice because at room temp, it does not absorb any moisture meaning it is the stiffest material available for this application. Angus set about machining it. Pretty soon it was obvious that due to the nature of the material, machining to a tighter tolerance would be possible. After a couple of weeks Angus was ready to demo his new MK6 arm.

He forewarned me that he hadn’t really had enough time to evaluate it properly but he felt it was special. I sat there and waited for the first notes.
    I was confused initially. I have heard Dire Straits to death, but not like this. I wasn’t prepared for the solidity and immediacy. Knopfler’s vocals SPRUNG forward, the guitars were Electrifying and the percussion popped out of the speakers. It was buoyant and as the rhythm upped tempo, so did my attention. Mesmeric.

Next up was a track called “walking in Memphis” but it was performed by a bloke on a piano. I was in absolute awe of how crystal clear his vocals were. So soulful. I listened as his vocals projected from his chest cavity into my front room. Something happened in that moment and I realised, I was looking for him. Physically trying to watch the performance with my eyes.At the end of the track, Angus asked “how on earth did you fit a grand piano in this room”

He was so right.

The piano was so large in tone and scale, and listening to the harmonics of the key strokes was wonderful. I remember thinking, I can hear him pressing the keys and hearing them land momentarily before the note rang out.

We carried on and on went “albert King – The very thought of you”
    I love this track. It has a sentimental meaning to me and If I can’t connect with it, the equipment is not good enough. Well, let’s say, it moved me and move swiftly on.

I played some of everything on this arm. Classical (WOW!) Metal (OH YEAH!!) Acoustic (Intimate!) Literally anything I threw on the TT, played with absolute precision and vigour.

One thing I did notice was a massive improvement in dynamics. This arm felt more capable to really portray the energy of a track and it wasn’t something I realised was missing until I heard it.

Now we had a problem. Angus had to take the MK6 away because it was bought and paid for by Jamie (Karma67)

As usual, when you take out something and go back to the old piece, it is usually then that all these things become apparent. It certainly was, and I was in a rush to get the MK6 back on my TT.

It’s not all good news though.

Due to the more expensive material and the increasing rarity of good condition donor arms, you can no longer buy the PMAT 1010 for £850. The price is now nearer £1200 (will confirm) which sits this arm in the same water as some very well thought of arms. What I will say is this: I STILL think this arm is the best arm I have ever heard and even though the price has risen substantially, In my humble opinion, You will spend the minimum of £3K to *maybe* equal it. Yes, *maybe* equal it and not necessarily better it.

Sure, I haven’t heard EVERY arm out there but I know that this arm beats everything I have heard and it isn’t the most expensive arm out of my experience list.
    Don’t take my word for it. Speak to Angus and go see him if you’re interested in his PMAT1010.

Take your cheque book!
    Last edited by Bigman80; 08-12-2018 at 08:40.

I'm John.

A Worthy Write Up and Assessment.

I have heard the PMAT AT-1010 in its variant Mk ?? over the last 16 Months. The first time in August 2017.
    It got my full attention back then, and I was not aware of it being a device on offer to interested parties, I thought it was a one of production.
    More recently this all changed, as I asked for some support on a different set up from Angus and on my visit I became aware of options available to me.
    As a result of visiting Angus, I have listened to a Mk V and Mk VI, and have a fundamental understanding of what a Mk VII, will include, and the difficulty in sourcing the parts to make it a viable option.
    I can report that I have been very impressed with how the arm works with a Ortofon Vienna MC in its two different build states, Factory Original and Custom Rebuild.
    I have Listened to Angus's Vinyl front end compared to my Vinyl front end through the same system and there is a presentation from Angus's offering that creates a wish to hear more of its capabilities.
    Angus's creativity of design, has been drawn on a long time passion for vinyl music replays,
    a career in engineering, and as a result being trained to the highest degree, and then evolving into a individual
    that is keen to take on board the field of micro engineering and pursuing this discipline to the point of alleviating the negative effects of this type of engineering on its use in vinyl replay.
    I can't say I am fluent in the differences between a PMAT Mk V or Mk VI, but I can say, I recall a unheard clarity or spacious in the presentation that seemed to not be so observable from a previous experience of listening to the same recordings. That was fun.
    I will soon be in a position to Compare a recent Kontrapunkt b, Custom Rebuilt cartridge to the Vienna Custom Rebuilt Cartridge on a PMAT Mk VI. This should be fun.
    I will also be in a position to Compare the Kontrapunkt b, set up on a long time owned SME IV, following the above experience. This should be fun
    I am very impressed with Angus's work, I feel that the PMAT Mk VI or maybe VII, is looking like the next addition, substituting the original SME IV, and as the SME IV and I are going to make ' old bones' together,
    I think it would be very desirable, if it were to be a PMAT SME IV and PMAT Mk ??, mounted 'Shoulder to Shoulder' in a 'Revolutionary Stand' against the Digital Dominance of the 'NOW'.

Bigman80 Guest

Angus doesn't really advertise his work and I understand why, retired guy enjoying life. Unfortunately, because I won't shut up about how good his work is, he's probably working harder than he wants too

I'm James.

You know when something is truly great when you can't hear it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes, and that's why it was so hard to describe.

It's eerie how the TT and arm disappear whilst the music is on.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Does that apply to cables?
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Does that apply to cables?
    Surely the pursuit of pure audio replay is when the chain of equipment is having the very least effect on what you are hearing.

Whether that be the elimination of distortion, grain in the cables and anything else having a negative impact.

From my point of view, that's what I have been trying to achieve. Obviously, there are uncontrollable factors such as the room itself but if everything else is as close to transparent as possible, you are minimising the effect.

I'm Adam.

Pictures?!?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Bigman80 Guest

Here you go!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I am not going to lie, I am finding this difficult.

How do you review/critique/opine on a piece of equipment that sounds like nothing? Has no noticeable faults? Is not viable for any honest criticism at all? That’s how I feel listening to this arm. The real problem I suppose is how do I keep finding superlatives to accurately describe it.

What Angus has done, is a stroke of genius. I was delighted with the MK5 and have/had absolutely no qualms banging on about how good it was/is. That said, the MK6 is, and I am in no doubt about this, substantially improved in comparison. How is this done?

The MK5 was made of some sort of polymer that Angus found. It was the stiffest, suitable material he could find HOWEVER what came to light was a little surprising. There was an issue of sorts. At room temperature the material absorbed atmospheric moisture meaning it lost a % of its stiffness. Whilst minimal, this was something that Angus (perfectionist) was not happy to live with. This began the hunt for the material that would eventually form the MK6.

A Carbon fibre-based material would become the material of choice because at room temp, it does not absorb any moisture meaning it is the stiffest material available for this application. Angus set about machining it. Pretty soon it was obvious that due to the nature of the material, machining to a tighter tolerance would be possible. After a couple of weeks Angus was ready to demo his new MK6 arm.

He forewarned me that he hadn’t really had enough time to evaluate it properly but he felt it was special. I sat there and waited for the first notes.
    I was confused initially. I have heard Dire Straits to death, but not like this. I wasn’t prepared for the solidity and immediacy. Knopfler’s vocals SPRUNG forward, the guitars were Electrifying and the percussion popped out of the speakers. It was buoyant and as the rhythm upped tempo, so did my attention. Mesmeric.

Next up was a track called “walking in Memphis” but it was performed by a bloke on a piano. I was in absolute awe of how crystal clear his vocals were. So soulful. I listened as his vocals projected from his chest cavity into my front room. Something happened in that moment and I realised, I was looking for him. Physically trying to watch the performance with my eyes.At the end of the track, Angus asked “how on earth did you fit a grand piano in this room”

He was so right.

The piano was so large in tone and scale, and listening to the harmonics of the key strokes was wonderful. I remember thinking, I can hear him pressing the keys and hearing them land momentarily before the note rang out.

We carried on and on went “albert King – The very thought of you”
    I love this track. It has a sentimental meaning to me and If I can’t connect with it, the equipment is not good enough. Well, let’s say, it moved me and move swiftly on.

I played some of everything on this arm. Classical (WOW!) Metal (OH YEAH!!) Acoustic (Intimate!) Literally anything I threw on the TT, played with absolute precision and vigour.

One thing I did notice was a massive improvement in dynamics. This arm felt more capable to really portray the energy of a track and it wasn’t something I realised was missing until I heard it.

Now we had a problem. Angus had to take the MK6 away because it was bought and paid for by Jamie (Karma67)

As usual, when you take out something and go back to the old piece, it is usually then that all these things become apparent. It certainly was, and I was in a rush to get the MK6 back on my TT.

It’s not all good news though.

Due to the more expensive material and the increasing rarity of good condition donor arms, you can no longer buy the PMAT 1010 for £850. The price is now nearer £1200 (will confirm) which sits this arm in the same water as some very well thought of arms. What I will say is this: I STILL think this arm is the best arm I have ever heard and even though the price has risen substantially, In my humble opinion, You will spend the minimum of £3K to *maybe* equal it. Yes, *maybe* equal it and not necessarily better it.

Sure, I haven’t heard EVERY arm out there but I know that this arm beats everything I have heard and it isn’t the most expensive arm out of my experience list.
    Don’t take my word for it. Speak to Angus and go see him if you’re interested in his PMAT1010.

Take your cheque book!
    im confused by this oli? we heard the arm at angus's over a month ago,it was that one i bought as you know,he was hoping to get yours ready as well but had problems with it, one of the bearing pivots if im not mistaken.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast