+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything should I evaluate/know before buying a Caiman SEG?

I'm Giovanni.

Default Anything should I evaluate/know before buying a Caiman SEG?

I would like to get myself a DAC as a present and budget/quality wise I read many beautiful things about the Caiman SEG, the intended usage is to stream audio mainly from an old MacMini which will be used to play lossless music, there then is the optical out of the TV screen I'd like also to give to the DAC as to stream movies audio through the DAC before reaching the Audio Research SP9 preamp and, least but no last, could also use it in place of the Sony X505ES CD player own's converter (a pity the AppleTV 4 features no audio out plug any longer).

Given the above I think the Caiman has the inputs I look forward to, the USB comes always handy, one optical for the TV screen and the other for the Mini (whose output, if I am not wrong, carries both optical and analog on the same plug), the other optical or coax for the CD just in case.

To begin with I'd go with the normal wall AC adapter to then move onto a linear supply, is there any option I should evaluate before hitting the button?

Grazie

Giovanni

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni68 View Post
    I would like to get myself a DAC as a present and budget/quality wise I read many beautiful things about the Caiman SEG, the intended usage is to stream audio mainly from an old MacMini which will be used to play lossless music, there then is the optical out of the TV screen I'd like also to give to the DAC as to stream movies audio through the DAC before reaching the Audio Research SP9 preamp and, least but no last, could also use it in place of the Sony X505ES CD player own's converter (a pity the AppleTV 4 features no audio out plug any longer).

Given the above I think the Caiman has the inputs I look forward to, the USB comes always handy, one optical for the TV screen and the other for the Mini (whose output, if I am not wrong, carries both optical and analog on the same plug), the other optical or coax for the CD just in case.

To begin with I'd go with the normal wall AC adapter to then move onto a linear supply, is there any option I should evaluate before hitting the button?

Grazie

Giovanni
    Buy it with the Dorado power supply. This, in my opinion, has a bigger impact on SQ than a linear power supply. Stanley will supply the appropriate power supply if you buy the Dorado at the same time.

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Buy it with the Dorado power supply. This, in my opinion, has a bigger impact on SQ than a linear power supply. Stanley will supply the appropriate power supply if you buy the Dorado at the same time.
    I was to read about it but have no clue how much it adds to the bill, I might add it later on if it raises the bar too high

I'm Adrian.

I was to read about it but have no clue how much it adds to the bill, I might add it later on if it raises the bar too high
    Send PM to StanleyB he will advise cost on all options, he is very helpful.

I have Caiman SEG and Dorado and I am extremely pleased with the sound quality, I stream from Tidal mainly using either Volumio or Audirvana which I slightly prefer. I also have my Meridian 508 CD connected and the Caiman SEG DAC is and improvement on the Meridian.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    +1 the Dorado is very good provided you set it with 15V output. At less than €100 the Dorado is far cheaper (and smaller) than a good linear supply
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Personally, I'd get a Topping D30.

It is absolutely unnerving that something so cheap (£90) is so good.

Compared one with a Bel canto and it wasn't as big a gap as our expect. Sure the Bel Canto was better but by £610? Hell no.

Compared with a Caiman and preferred the Topping. The Caiman had the Dorado too.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    +1 the Dorado is very good provided you set it with 15V output. At less than €100 the Dorado is far cheaper (and smaller) than a good linear supply
    But the Dorado is not a power supply, it sits in between this latter one and the DAC or did I miss something along the way?

By the way, I have budget restrictions and as such I'd start with the DAC and, eventually, upgrade along the way.

Grazie

p.s. cable wise, to connect the Mini to a DAC what would you do, USB or that fancy analog/optical plug?

I'm Geoff.

But the Dorado is not a power supply, it sits in between this latter one and the DAC or did I miss something along the way?

By the way, I have budget restrictions and as such I'd start with the DAC and, eventually, upgrade along the way.

Grazie

p.s. cable wise, to connect the Mini to a DAC what would you do, USB or that fancy analog/optical plug?
    The Dorado is a small box (about the size of a packet of cigarettes) that sits between the 15v power supply and the SEG. It seems to clear up the dirty power from the wall adaptor and provide a higher current to the SEG. However it works, it is not a small upgrade. It improves clarity, bass and detail and makes the SEG sound even more analogue.

I don't use Apple products, but prefer optical connections to USB in general. One advantage with optical is that it is possible to use longer optical cables without reducing quality (e.g. up to 10m).

The Dorado works best with a 15v power supply. I understand your budget constraints but I would suggest you wait a little until you can buy both together. BTW. Ask Stanley if he still has a discount for AoS members.

I'm Jerry.

Definitely go for the SEG with the Dorado. Either now, or as your budget allows. After you have got used to the SEG, Stan offers an upgrade with Supercaps, which is another step up in EQ.

I'm tony.

Just buy the seg with the supplied power supply....Stans power supplies are pretty good low noise jobs.

When the unit has a couple of hundred hours on it and your bank balance has recovered upgrade to the dorado and supplied low noise psu.

a glass fisual optical cable to the mac and tv would be fine but dont rule out Stans cables and opticals they are very good.

The seg has also got an excellent headphone section and the pre amp section is also very good,,,,buy with confidence and upgrade as funds allow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast