+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Switched attenuators, what's all the fuss about?

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I hope your attenuators work out Panos, I will await the verdict at the end of January!

Happy New Year
    Thanks for your kind wishes, James. All the best to you and your loved ones for a Healthy and Happy 2019.
    And best wishes to all other forum members as well!
    Panos
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Panos.

Hello everyone.
    It's taken quite some time, but it seems that we are reaching the end of the road with respect to the modification of my Croft Micro25RSLS preamp with dual-mono stepped attenuators of Khozmo/Hattor make. They are shunt with z-foil resistors. The input selector has been changed, as well. And yes, there is a remote control as well.
    I should be receiving the modified Croft within the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed about how it's going to sound. Until then, I can only post a few photos about before and after...

Croft Micro25RSLS.jpgCroft_25RSLS_upgraded1.jpgCroft_25RSLS_upgraded2.jpg
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm James.

Looking good Panos. May I ask who is doing the work for you? I will be very interested to read your first listening experience with the new attenuators.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Panos.

Hi James,
    the guy doing the modification is Arek Kallas, the designer/owner of Khozmo/Hattor. I am also very interested in the results.
    A few months ago, when I had connected (via interconnects) the Hattor dual-mono passive preamp (as the volume controller) and the Croft preamp (as the active preamp stage), the result was better than the sum of the parts. And that's why I decided to proceed with the modification of the Croft internally.
    We'll have the verdict in a couple of weeks or so.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Hi James,
    the guy doing the modification is Arek Kallas, the designer/owner of Khozmo/Hattor. I am also very interested in the results.
    A few months ago, when I had connected (via interconnects) the Hattor dual-mono passive preamp (as the volume controller) and the Croft preamp (as the active preamp stage), the result was better than the sum of the parts. And that's why I decided to proceed with the modification of the Croft internally.
    We'll have the verdict in a couple of weeks or so.
    Hi Panos, looks cool and very modern, nice you have kept the dual mono design. Hope it all works out and the attenuators make a difference. From the chaps I know who have gone down this route it has been a big improvement.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

Hello everyone.
    It's taken quite some time, but it seems that we are reaching the end of the road with respect to the modification of my Croft Micro25RSLS preamp with dual-mono stepped attenuators of Khozmo/Hattor make. They are shunt with z-foil resistors. The input selector has been changed, as well. And yes, there is a remote control as well.
    I should be receiving the modified Croft within the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed about how it's going to sound. Until then, I can only post a few photos about before and after...

Croft Micro25RSLS.jpgCroft_25RSLS_upgraded1.jpgCroft_25RSLS_upgraded2.jpg
    Looks like it's a beautiful job and brings the Croft bang up to date visually and technologically. Loving the display meters. Not sure what Glenn would make of it, I think you should send him pics (if you haven't already done so) so that he can see what can be done with his amps if one so chooses.

One question, looking at the first photo, this pre seems to have multiple (valve?) regulated external power supplies. How has the impact of the new boards been factored in, and which of the supplies are they drawing off, or has a new supply rail been added?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Panos.

Finally it's here. It may have taken a bit longer than expected, but patience is a virtue!
    Enclosed some pics of the upgraded Croft 25RSLS, which now contains Khozmo dual-mono stepped attenuators (shunt with z-foil resistors), upgraded input selector and remote control for both volume and inputs.
    At first, quick audition the result is great. Need more time of course to do some critical listening and go into the details. Aesthetically, the outside looks like no intervention has taken place at all. Immaculate job by Arek Kallas of Khozmo.

Croft_25RSLS_KhozmoShuntAttenuators.jpg

Croft_25RSLS_KhozmoShuntAttenuators_2.jpg

Croft_25RSLS_KhozmoShuntAttenuators_system.jpg

I'm Panos.

And it has a remote control as well. For both channels together or independently. Wow!

Croft_25RSLS_KhozmoShuntAttenuators_RemoteControl.jpg

And if you want to compare the internal circuitry, before and after, here it is...

Before...
    IMG_3115.jpg

After...
    IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

I'm John.

Thought this might be of some help to Khozmo users.

After a couple of months use the action of my Khozmo started to feel a little indistinct and had lost that positive 'click'. At times it seemed you could almost catch it out in between steps. I found out from the Hifi Collective website that it's possible to adjust the torque setting required to move the switch by one step. Simply move it to its mid position, 24 out of the 48 steps, insert a 2mm metric Allen hex key into the adjustment hole on the side and give it a clockwise partial turn to increase the torque setting. Positive 'click' is now restored and no chance of hitting a half on half off 'mid-position'.

Result!

You can see the adjustment hole just below the right hand resistor.

Last edited by JohnJo; 25-05-2019 at 14:50.

Bigman80 Guest

And it has a remote control as well. For both channels together or independently. Wow!

Croft_25RSLS_KhozmoShuntAttenuators_RemoteControl.jpg

And if you want to compare the internal circuitry, before and after, here it is...

Before...
    IMG_3115.jpg

After...
    IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg
    Totally forgot you were doing this!

The end result looks sensational. I'm a huge fan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast