+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Darn - I should have waited! Mine was £24.99!

Re the battery power chargers - do they by any chance have high frequency switching or other circuits inside?
    I don’t see how they can give a stable output without some circuitry, and if internal voltage changing is needed I don’t see how that could be done without either bulky and heavy transformers, or smaller ones with hf switching. Some circuit designs might avoid switching, but would then require more power stored and would be less efficient.

If there is complex circuitry in these devices (which I don’t know) is it not then possible that such circuitry might also have an adverse impact on the sound quality if connected to audio kit?
    I can't speak to the components in the powerbank I have but I can say it is a huge step up in quality over plugging the CCA into the wall. For ~£20 a powerbank is a no brainer even if it doesn't have the circuitry in question

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Grant.

A few folk have opened these.. this was a cheap 3 quid job... you get a fair bit for your money.

https://averagemaker.com/2016/06/inside-power-bank.html
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A few folk have opened these.. this was a cheap 3 quid job... you get a fair bit for your money.

https://averagemaker.com/2016/06/inside-power-bank.html
    That's actually quite impressive for £3. Even if it's the same stuff in the more expensive ones that's still good value for money.

The most important thing obviously is how it sounds

Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    That's actually quite impressive for £3. Even if it's the same stuff in the more expensive ones that's still good value for money.

The most important thing obviously is how it sounds

Ok - looks as though I was right that there’s some circuitry, but some Li battery cells can output 3.7V or slightly more - https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._with_voltages

For a 3.7V output there’s thus no need for voltage changing circuitry, so the circuits are mostly for safety and charging. If other voltages are needed - to drive amps or some DACs then other circuitry will be needed. So I got this part wrong for a 3.6-3.7 volt device, but for other drive voltages more circuitry is needed. I’ll try my own chromecasts with my own storage batteries - from Lidl.

I’m not sure if there are battery units which do other voltages for other kit.
    Dave

I'm tony.

had one of the troops across today for a brew and chinwag.

listened to the cca/power bank.....does 95% sonicaly of my main server/flac set up with spotify premium.

glad it was not just me hearing things

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    had one of the troops across today for a brew and chinwag.

listened to the cca/power bank.....does 95% sonicaly of my main server/flac set up with spotify premium.

glad it was not just me hearing things
    Got a long weekend off and I'm going to get my head around it because what I'm hearing from the CCA is astounding, I think it might be boarding on my FLAC set up also

I'm Bill.

I'm still very interested in the sq difference between a CCA and a Raspberry Pi with a digital hat.

Any opinions?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm still very interested in the sq difference between a CCA and a Raspberry Pi with a digital hat.

Any opinions?
    I had a Pi/Allo Boss setup until recently and I thought that beat the CCA into my SEG no problem.

Just recently setup my Allo Sparky/Piano/Kali and that beats both the Pi/Boss and CCA. All using Spotify Premium and Qobuz HiFi.

For the money the CCA is decent enough but it's back in the cupboard for emergency use.

I'm Bill.

Interesting, I currently use a Pi/Boss v1.2 and also think this is better than a Pi/Digione/Seg combo.

I'm thinking about an external DAC and wondered what would be the best transport to go with it or stick as is.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Interesting, I currently use a Pi/Boss v1.2 and also think this is better than a Pi/Digione/Seg combo.

I'm thinking about an external DAC and wondered what would be the best transport to go with it or stick as is.
    The Project Stream Box S2 Ultra ( designed by John Westlake ) is highly rated by Hans Beekhuyzen ( check his YouTube channel ) reckons it's 80-85 as good as the SoTm Neo Ultra yet only half the price of the Neo.

It runs on Volumio. If Iwas thinking of trying one the Project would be high on my list. Needs a separate DAC of course.

https://youtu.be/7CX-pZRhbtI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast