+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD Radford STA25 Mk3/STA100

I'm Charlie.

Default WTD Radford STA25 Mk3/STA100

Hi all,

Looking for a Radford STA25 Mk3 or an STA 100... I know these don't come along very often, but if anyone has any leads for either of these in good condition and at a reasonable price (I know there are one or two on ebay which generally fail both of these criteria!) then I would really appreciate the info! I appreciate that it is a bit of a waiting game when looking for something so specific, but thought that I would put it out there.

Thank you all in advance!

Charlie

I'm Edward.

Do contact Will at Radford Revival to see what he has in stock. Last time I chatted with him he had a STA100.

Good choice of amp by the way!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alex.

Great amp, they don't come cheap though. Had mine for over four decades.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Great amp, they don't come cheap though. Had mine for over four decades.
    +1

I can't imagine ever getting rid of mine (perhaps only if I got a STA100).

Charlie, have you seen the STA15 that Kulwinda is selling?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Charlie.

Thanks guys! I have been in touch with Will regularly over the past year or so - am waiting for him to come up with the design of his new 100W amp and am looking for a lovely amp in the meantime. He doesn't have anything at the moment to fill the gap.

I have seen the lovely STA15 that Kulwinda is selling. It really does look to be in great nick, and is a great amp, but I know from listening to a few different set-ups which have very similar components to mine (including Tannoy HPD385As) that the STA25 does a slightly better job than the STA25... so I am holding out! Patience is a virtue, or so they say!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    Thanks guys! I have been in touch with Will regularly over the past year or so - am waiting for him to come up with the design of his new 100W amp and am looking for a lovely amp in the meantime. He doesn't have anything at the moment to fill the gap.

I have seen the lovely STA15 that Kulwinda is selling. It really does look to be in great nick, and is a great amp, but I know from listening to a few different set-ups which have very similar components to mine (including Tannoy HPD385As) that the STA25 does a slightly better job than the STA25... so I am holding out! Patience is a virtue, or so they say!
    Umm - as a previous owner of both not sure this is the true. Its a personal thing of course but the STA15 and its valve rectification is a really stunning amp and should have no problem driving your efficient Tannoys. Recently sold my STA15s and 25s and now only the MA15 monoblocks remain. Have previously owned an STA60 (forerunner to the STA100) but did not get on with the grainy sound of the KT88 output valves. Produced far too much grunt for my speakers.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Umm - as a previous owner of both not sure this is the true. Its a personal thing of course but the STA15 and its valve rectification is a really stunning amp and should have no problem driving your efficient Tannoys.
    Absolutely agreed that the STA15 can drive the Tannoys, David. As you say, they are very efficient, and the STA15 sounds very good with them. However, based on my own experiences of listening to both through similar set-ups, the STA25 just pips it to my ears. Of course, I know that my perception could also have been down to other aspects of the set-ups I was listening to, and the only perfect way of determining which I 100% prefer would be to have access to both and slot them into my system. But that is very unlikely to happen!!

+ Reply to Thread