+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howard Lemon Oil Wood Polish

I'm Robert.

We'll have to disagree on this one Jamie.

Because the way my brain works is that if I have wood of some kind that is dull and very dry, then give a treatment, application, whatever, that treatment be it a wood oil or wax of some kind then for me that treatment has done something.

The wood looks better, in some cases this applying or treating can prevent cracking and so on.

Wood absorbs the stuf you put on it, hence some woodworkers will leave a treatment on for a good while for it to 'soak in' as they say.

I dont see it as you put it that it isnt doing anything other than putting a coating on it.

Finished wood might be a bit different in some cases but even then, a really good real wood veneer as is on a lot of good speakers, benefits with the occasional wipe and rub of a good wood oil type application.

Thats defo what I see in my experience and I would say the wood is nourished in a sense, I totally see why they use the term.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

as i said im not knocking the product! or doubting that its not doing anything!
    i speak as an antique restorer and cabinet maker,ive working on many pieces of 18th century furniture and sold my copies of such furniture in christie's auction rooms in london so im speaking from a lot of experiance.

i respect your opinion mate im just pointing out that terms such as those ive mentioned are worded like that so the layman thinks they are doing lovely things to help the wood live and shine and be all cuddly and warm and safe etc. they also use the term 'feed,' is the wood hungry? no its not but again its sounds good.

happy to disagree though.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    as i said im not knocking the product! or doubting that its not doing anything!
    i speak as an antique restorer and cabinet maker,ive working on many pieces of 18th century furniture and sold my copies of such furniture in christie's auction rooms in london so im speaking from a lot of experiance.

i respect your opinion mate im just pointing out that terms such as those ive mentioned are worded like that so the layman thinks they are doing lovely things to help the wood live and shine and be all cuddly and warm and safe etc. they also use the term 'feed,' is the wood hungry? no its not but again its sounds good.

happy to disagree though.
    However nice it is, it seems very pricey for some scented oil. A bottle of good olive or rape seed oil and some lemon oil is a couple of quid. I doubt if it penetrates far into the wood but it certainly improves the appearance of the surface layer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12