+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lenco L75

I'm Gary.

Default Lenco L75

Anyone else tried leaving the original sprung base off?

There is a circular recess in the four corners of the plinth that the springs originally sat in, I've inserted whole squash balls.

An improvement in base depth and detail I think.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andrew.

Mine used to sit on Spring suspension and then I went down the mass and coupling route.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andy.

I have 3 L75's ( one is a work in progress)

One is an original Leak L75 - fully sprung and sounds very nice with the original arm etc.
    The second is in a heavy mass plinth with a Linn LVX arm and again sounds very nice.

When I was creating the re-plinthed version many years ago, I rested the original chassis on four soup cans and I was surprised how good it sounded so using 4 squash balls does not surprise me that you noticed a difference in sound.
    No matter what you do to these turntables, it is very easy to influence/change the sound to what you prefer

Enjoy your tweaking
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    I have 3 L75's ( one is a work in progress)

One is an original Leak L75 - fully sprung and sounds very nice with the original arm etc.
    The second is in a heavy mass plinth with a Linn LVX arm and again sounds very nice.

When I was creating the re-plinthed version many years ago, I rested the original chassis on four soup cans and I was surprised how good it sounded so using 4 squash balls does not surprise me that you noticed a difference in sound.
    No matter what you do to these turntables, it is very easy to influence/change the sound to what you prefer

Enjoy your tweaking
    It's very enjoyable tweaking these decks and noting the effect.

Getting rid of the hum that came with it was interesting and eventually fruitful, including earthing the top plate!

Will continue to enjoy fiddling.

I have two cartridges, in headshells, that are identical except diamond profile, one Geiger II and the other Van den Hul, so balancing headshells to the same weight, swapping made easier.

Gary

I'm Andrew.

I think tweaking is great and its something I love, however you can drive yourself bonkers. The suspension thing can be easily bypassed by decoupling the motor and that way it dosen't matter what you sit your 75 on as it won't be translating vibration into the platter. It's my next big area of experimentation.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I think tweaking is great and its something I love, however you can drive yourself bonkers. The suspension thing can be easily bypassed by decoupling the motor and that way it dosen't matter what you sit your 75 on as it won't be translating vibration into the platter. It's my next big area of experimentation.
    I'm already kinda bonkers.

I will be interested in your experimenting, depends on definition I guess? As long as the idler wheel is in contact with the platter you have mechanical coupling don't you? How will you drive the platter if there no idler wheel?

Airborne reasonance is coupling that can transmit to the platter?

Please take this as its meant, I am interested in where you are going with this.

Looking forwar to your results.

Gary

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I'm already kinda bonkers.

I will be interested in your experimenting, depends on definition I guess? As long as the idler wheel is in contact with the platter you have mechanical coupling don't you? How will you drive the platter if there no idler wheel?

Airborne reasonance is coupling that can transmit to the platter?

Please take this as its meant, I am interested in where you are going with this.

Looking forwar to your results.

Gary
    You'll always have coupling so long as you have any two surfaces are in contact with each other. Decoupling the idler wheel is just simply the idler wheel mounted on an external mount, so yep you need an idler wheel. It means your not reliant on the idler arm which is known to be a bad source of resonance from it's coupling to the top plate. You can do away with the idler arm altogether and all the mounting nuts and other gubbins and the idler spring. The idler wheel can simply be mounted onto something which is very stiff and resonant resistant, or something which can dissipate or de-tune resonance into something which is not going to have an impact on playback. I've never really thought about airbourne resonance (don't get me started ). Alternatively you can leave the idler wheel alone and simply decouple the motor. Either way if you decouple the idler wheel or motor you should reduce (but not eliminate) nasties getting into the platter and affecting playback. Hope this waffle helps.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Gary.

Waffle is good as far as I'm concerned.

Keep it coming, I'll join in.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread