Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
The speakers already have a tweeter so I don't know what gains you are hoping to make by adding another. From the response you show it doesn't extend much higher than 20Khz anyway. Usually you would look to roll in a supertweeter where the existing tweeter gives out. Do you know the upper FR of the existing tweeter? I guess if it is quite low(15Khz) say then it might be worth trying the supertweeter. Otherwise you are just doubling up on what is there already, you'll get cancellation, reinforcement, comb filter effects. All a bit random it seems to me.
i agree with you,

my first idea was simply to replace the actual tweeter, that is not an original yamaha JA0505 as it should be, you know these 50 year old things, the present tweeter is a Phillips AD0160/T8, for which i found an experimental curve like this:

so this means that this phillips tweeter gives up at 18.000Hz, and the sensitivity is aorund 92dB, and not very flat neither

once this is said my alternatives would be:

1- to use the yamaha JA0506 it as a supertweeter keeping the phillips, and then where to cut the supertweeter frec. 8000Hz. ? more ?

2- or get rid of the phillips and put this yamaha JA0506 tweeter in its place, in this case i will be using the existing crossover with its high pass filter at 6000Hz and adding an L-Pad attenuator to attenuate from the 115dB given by the tweeter and accomodate to the rest of the speaker“s setup (woofer and squawker)

should this be better ?

thank you