+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idiots guide

I'm Dan.

Thumbs up An idiots guide

I love music, but take it for granted I'm thick as a ditch. I currently have a reasonable dac running into an edge g3 and I'm about to swap out a pair of waterfall audio victoria evos (for sale) for some very high end speakers.
    I only want to stream music from my phone as I haven't the energy for messing around with a laptop or computer, or from a dedicated stream in device. I started to try and research it but got a full head reading about MAC (I think) unfolding and gave up.
    Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use, digital streaming thing. All I want is to use WiFi or Bluetooth and my phone or a device I can plug into the dac or the amp.
    I'd be really grateful for any help.
    Dan

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

There's lots of ways of skinning a cat.
    What do you want to stream?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Rob.

I have a Chromecast and stream with that, however I have a Microsoft Zune (MP3 player) with hundreds of tracks on it so I use the h/phone out, into a balanced DTI, into a balanced Dac and out again and it sounds great to my buggered lugs.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

chromecast is cheap for wireless transmission. a mini toslink to toslink cable will connect to your dac and you should be able to cast stuff from phone
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatty View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use, digital streaming thing. All I want is to use WiFi or Bluetooth and my phone or a device I can plug into the dac or the amp.
    I'd be really grateful for any help.
    Dan
    Be careful streaming music from your phone as the quality could be poor if the music is compressed already or you stream from a poor source(iTunes to name one), this IMO would completely negate you have high and DAC, amp and speakers. The usual adage is put rubbish in get rubbish out.

Have a look at https://roonlabs.com/partners.html. I personally don't use Roon but the have many good and high end partners that have streaming devices you can control from a mobile device.

Another option is simple and not expensive and you can see if you like it, quite a few on here do similar to this. By a RaspberryPi and a HiBerry S/PDIF card set it up with Volumio(software) and subscribe to Tidal and/or Qobuz for streaming hi-res music, if you have digital music in an iTunes library then Volumio can use this as well. Volumio runs on the RaspberryPi as a server and this is where the music is processed. I do this and also us Audirvana on a MacBook for hi-Res music as it enables you to upscale the quality a bit.

Have a look at https://volumio.org, they have recently put up a new streaming player which is not expensive but looks good, alternatively have look at

I hope this helps, there are a myriad of products out there. But be careful you can spend a lot of money for not very much, I know of a product that is basically RaspberyPi with a DAC card in a pretty box that is sold for over £1k, you could buy the equivalent or better for couple of hundred.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I'm intrigued as to why you have started 2 threads about exactly the same thing.
    By the powers invested in me by the interweb I have merged them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    By the powers invested in me by the interweb I have merged them.
    By the scant powers invested in me I have deleted my post from the second thread.
    Chris

Back to Dan's question.

There's lots of ways of skinning a cat.
    What do you want to stream?

Put another way, are you using a content provider (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz or suchlike), or do you have a shedload of local files that you want to have playing through your rig?
    Chris

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    chromecast is cheap for wireless transmission. a mini toslink to toslink cable will connect to your dac and you should be able to cast stuff from phone
    +1, Chromecast Audio simple to use, I guess it depends on definition but it casts the content of your chosen media supplier ( Spotify etc ) but is passive, as the contact is direct by wifi from your router, your phone, pad etc to your DAC and onward.

If you also use Google Mini you get voice control over Chromecast as well.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Dan.

Thanks
    I'm using amazon prime and a chrome cast at the minute, but it's poor quality compared to a CD even. The chrome cast is plugged into the dac.
    I was going to get tidal as it's apparently better quality, but wondered if there is a single device which I can plug into the amp or the dac I have, which facilitates high quality streaming either from that device, or from my phone. I generally only play my playlists, which I'll have to start from scratch. Money isn't too tight at the minute, so I'm prepared to pay a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast