+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cycle 'Leisure' Battery Power

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I've got a 1.5a smart motorcycle battery charger but I'm guessing this isn't really suitable?
    Providing it is a smart charger, as you say, it should be suitable.
    The 10% required charge rate is if you are not using a smart charger. The time to fully charge is going to be rather long but if you achieve 14.2-14.4V on the battery then you can be happy that it is fully charged.
    The 1.5A rating is going to be well over the self discharge rate so I'd say you are good to go. Keep the voltage above 12V.

The killer for lead acid batteries is leaving them in a discharged state for long periods.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive got a smart ring wasnt cheap but it is a very good charger, and saved a couple of batteries. got it at Halfords in a sale
    They sell special cushions for that now!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    They sell special cushions for that now!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

There is quite a difference in construction between "normal" and " deep cycle or leisure batteries".

Normal batteries are designed to give bursts of power for short times then recharging. If not recharged relatively quickly lifespan will be compromised.

Not true of the deep cycle whose design gives voltage over long times. To use a trickle/smart charger on this battery is not required and may reduce its design lifespan.

So, using a deep cycle battery over a relatively long period between charges is preferable with no lifespan degradation.

Information on preferred charge rate may be on the battery, certainly information will be available. I would avoid slow rate charging though.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Paul.

I ended up buying a 4a Suaoki however I've just noticed their 7a version which sells for around £80 normally is going for £35 on Amazon today. That's an absolute bargain and one I missed out on damn it. Link below if your on the look-out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUAOKI-Main...attery+charger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Gary.

Good spot.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    There is quite a difference in construction between "normal" and " deep cycle or leisure batteries".

Normal batteries are designed to give bursts of power for short times then recharging. If not recharged relatively quickly lifespan will be compromised.

Not true of the deep cycle whose design gives voltage over long times. To use a trickle/smart charger on this battery is not required and may reduce its design lifespan.

So, using a deep cycle battery over a relatively long period between charges is preferable with no lifespan degradation.

Information on preferred charge rate may be on the battery, certainly information will be available. I would avoid slow rate charging though.

Gary
    What Gary said.
    Below 12v isn't a problem for the battery but maybe is for your kit. Deep cycle is designed to be discharged without damaging it.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    What Gary said.
    Below 12v isn't a problem for the battery but maybe is for your kit. Deep cycle is designed to be discharged without damaging it.
    Yep. My 130Ah AGM Deep Cycle caravan battery is regularly below 9V when I finally go get it from the caravan in storage (the tracker flattens it about every month), and a 'regular' car battery would be killed to death by that.
    But, my Optimate 3 motorcycle battery conditioner recovers, and charges it perfectly every time...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

1st charge for my one yesterday. Left it on the whole day. It went up to almost 14v but it's been maintaining at 13.3. Thoight It would be higher than that. Maybe a setting I need to trigger?

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    1st charge for my one yesterday. Left it on the whole day. It went up to almost 14v but it's been maintaining at 13.3. Thoight It would be higher than that. Maybe a setting I need to trigger?

13.3 volts is normal, similar to car battery with alternator charging.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast