+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cycle 'Leisure' Battery Power

I'm Paul.

Default Deep Cycle 'Leisure' Battery Power

Having purchased a allo digione recently I was about to pull the trigger on a cheapo linear psu for it but this got me thinking about what else could I use with similar or possibly even better results.

If this new psu could also power my other non psu inclusive components (amptastic mini-1 and minix) then all the better. The digione and minix run at 5v so these would require a buck or step down converter and these were picked up cheaply online.

Initially thought of a car battery but after some investigation I've settled on a Deep Cycle Leisure Battery (SuperBatt LH110) usually used for caravans or boats etc.. It's a big old beast so won't suit everyone (36cm wide and 22kg) Luckily the low height helps hide itself behind my cabinet.

I was going take a direct feed from the battery to each component but the minix and the digione don't have on/off switches so I fabricated a panel with 4 switches and a voltometer and I screwed this to the inside of my cabinet so it's hidden when my the doors are closed.

The mini-1 has it's own on/off switch so I've connected this directly to the battery with a inline fuse as added protection.

Sounds really good so far but only had a few hours worth of listening. Need to put the though it's paces now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Geoff.

Looks very neat. Much tidier than a similar system I had a few years back. However, I would just be a little worried about having the battery immediately below vertical blinds.

Geoff

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Looks very neat. Much tidier than a similar system I had a few years back. However, I would just be a little worried about having the battery immediately below vertical blinds.

Geoff
    Yes I was thinking the same. Was actually going to cut the bottom of the blinds so they are well above the battery. The terminals are inwards though and a good 15 - 20cm from the blind.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Grant.

dare say you could fit something over top of battery to protect it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Yes I was thinking the same. Was actually going to cut the bottom of the blinds so they are well above the battery. The terminals are inwards though and a good 15 - 20cm from the blind.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to have my battery and trickle charger outside on a covered balcony. Just had the wires with 12v feed coming into the house through an air brick. Admittedly, I was using a motorcycle SLA battery rather than a leisure battery, but I preferred to err on the side of caution.

I'm Alan.

Just put a fixed cover over at least one of the terminals and you'll be fine.

I'm Paul.

Alan, I've got a couple of the battery terminal covers on their way over from the Orient but as precaution I've done a temporary job on the positive in the mean time.

Does anyone have experience of charging a deep cycle battery? I've read you shouldn't trickle charge them and not let get much below the low 12v but apart from that I don't have much of an idea! I've got a 1.5a smart motorcycle battery charger but I'm guessing this isn't really suitable?
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Grant.

need really to use a smart charger..the charging current should be at least 10% of the ampere hour rating of battery.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    need really to use a smart charger..the charging current should be at least 10% of the ampere hour rating of battery.
    Thanks Grant, seen a 10a Numax smart jobbie but at £60 it's not cheap. Was thinking a weekly overnight charge should suffice but I'll keep an eye on the voltage and go from there.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Grant.

Ive got a smart ring wasnt cheap but it is a very good charger, and saved a couple of batteries. got it at Halfords in a sale
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast