+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TDA1541 based DAC

I'm Howard.

Default TDA1541 based DAC

I'm keen to hear one of these in my system. The input is not from CDs but from a Squeezebox. As far as I can see the only way to do it is to buy an Mhdt Labs Orchid. Is that right? Is there any old equipment that I might find second hand that will give me a good taste of what this chip can do? If I have to import a Mhdt DAC from Taiwan I will do, but I'd rather not!

I'm Martin.

You could look for a Sony DAS R1

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-DAS-R1.html
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I'm keen to hear one of these in my system. The input is not from CDs but from a Squeezebox. As far as I can see the only way to do it is to buy an Mhdt Labs Orchid. Is that right? Is there any old equipment that I might find second hand that will give me a good taste of what this chip can do? If I have to import a Mhdt DAC from Taiwan I will do, but I'd rather not!
    The marantz CD50 was / is, a good example of a TDA1541 implementation - available at reasonable cost.
    Another being the marantz CD80 but quite a bit higher in cost.

I'm Neil.

Where are you based?

I would avoid most TDA1541A players as they just don’t get the most out of the chip. What is around the DAC chip, the I/V stage and the output stage, are of critical importance.

If you could get one, the Audial AYA 4 would get my vote at Orchid budgets. The new Audial Model S4 is available, but more expensive.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

The Marantz CDA94 DAC is fairly common on eBay, the Sony DASR1 not, and when it is its often over a grand in price. Both are very nice TDA1541 implementations. If you have deeper pockets and would like a CD player as well as DAC, then the Marantz CD7 is worth a look for, but its a collectible so depending on condition could be anywhere between £2000 to £3500 ish.

So I think the CDA94 is your best bet, for £500 ish.
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

You could give Colin a call at Chevron Audio - he designs and builds DACs using the TD154x chips

I don’t think he still builds with that chipset anymore but may know a 2nd hand source, or could build you something similar with later super chips like the Sabre ones

See: http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/paradox_dac.html

I had one of his Paradox DACs with 16 chips - 8 in parallel on each channel and it sounded fantastic. Colin customised it for several different inputs too

David

I'm Neil.

Get in while you can. Nothing will come close in TDA1541A land, apart from the much more expensive Model S4.

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/surplus-sales/
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Lawrence.

Isn't the Chevron TDA1543 based though?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Get in while you can. Nothing will come close in TDA1541A land, apart from the much more expensive Model S4.

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/surplus-sales/
    Too late, gone, did anyone here snag one?

+ Reply to Thread