+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all valve GURUS

I'm Andrew.

Default Calling all valve GURUS

I just need a little help. I'm after a modern day valve tester. I'm mainly want to test ECC83's and KT88's as these are the valves I seen to prefer. I'm mainly wanting a simple, cheap(ish) and accurate valve tester. I have no experience in this area or any clue of "brands", so as such don't really know one good tester from another. Any suggestions of brands to avoid/buy would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm steve.

I'm no help with buying a cheap one, but your more than welcome to use mine..
    I live near the humber bridge..
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I just need a little help. I'm after a modern day valve tester. I'm mainly want to test ECC83's and KT88's as these are the valves I seen to prefer. I'm mainly wanting a simple, cheap(ish) and accurate valve tester. I have no experience in this area or any clue of "brands", so as such don't really know one good tester from another. Any suggestions of brands to avoid/buy would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Andy
    Hi Andy.

I have used one of these ...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-d...0-valve-tester

and it worked really well. Allowing to pair match 6550 .
    It depends what you need to test.

"
    In approximately two minutes, the VT1000 performs an extensive series of tests including:

Heater filament test: Short circuit
    Heater filament test: Open circuit
    Heater filament test: Tolerance check
    Heater cathode insulation: Leakage
    Heater cathode insulation: Short Circuit
    Tests for heater current abnormalities
    Amplification factor
    Voltage gain
    Power gain
    Screen grid test
    Mutual conductance test
    Dual test for double triodes
    Emission
    Inter electrode leakage
    Inter electrode short circuit
    Flash-over (arc detection, high voltage breakdown)
    Gas ionisation test
    The VT1000 really opens the door to everyone to have an extremely simple, portable, reliable, inexpensive and safe way to test valves.

The VT1000 incorporates patent-pending technology and currently tests the following valves:

EL34/6CA7; EL34L; 6L6; 6V6/6v6GTA; KT66; KT77; KT88; 6550; 5881; EL84/6BQ5; ECC81/12AT7; ECC82/12AU7; ECC83/12AX7; ECC99; 12BH7
    "

https://orangeamps.com/products/acce...ve-tester/#top

I'm Andrew.

Many thanks Mick, I'd seen this during a bit of research. It's always useful to ask others with more experience.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    I'm no help with buying a cheap one, but your more than welcome to use mine..
    I live near the humber bridge..
    Thanks Steve, that's a very kind offer!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Others see it differently:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...r-problem.html

I have no experience so don't have an axe to grind but the lack of readings, lack of repeatability, and false positives and negatives suggest it's not close to lab-worthy. I'd save up for a good tester such as an AVO Mk3 or 4, build a pi-tracer or similar, or look for someone else with reliable equipment to do the measurements for you.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post

I have no experience so don't have an axe to grind but the lack of readings, lack of repeatability, and false positives and negatives suggest it's not close to lab-worthy. I'd save up for a good tester such as an AVO Mk3 or 4, build a pi-tracer or similar, or look for someone else with reliable equipment to do the measurements for you.

Thanks James, and that's why I asked for some advice from you guys!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post

Hi James
    All info helps.

I borrowed the one i used and thought it was excellent. But it doesn't do ECC88 so i didn't get one of my own.
    I will try and borrow it again to see if it grades the 6550 the same way as before.
    The results were repeatable but you cant test same valve within a ?? time period, It needs to test from cold.
    I tested 20 6550 power valves that were supposedly matched when purchased.
    After a months burn in i tested, the tester assigns a number (grade) to each valve mine tested between (8 and 11)
    i could then match these numbers to create pairs.
    It also confirmed the faulty valves i had as faulty.
    Nothing is perfect but my experience with the one i used was positive.

Mick

I'm Mick.

Hi Andy, what tests do you want to do on the valves?

PS i wouldn't consider myself a valve guru..., just someone with an opinion

I'm kev.

I’d echo Jazid’s opinion, invest in a decent Avo, a proper test machine.
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast