+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas is coming and the DCB1's getting fat......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Smile Christmas is coming and the DCB1's getting fat......

Hi folks

Ok well once I pay the postman the princely sum of £16.05 in customs charges I'll have a DCB1 Hypnotise board and all the bits to Stuff it with from the nice Mr Teabag over at the DIY forum.

So I thought I'd start a build thread to cover this adventure/potentially Scott like disaster (gently prodded by Steve! Who has also very kindly offered to help), also I won't have the time to start this until Christmas when I have some time off so I thought I'd start it off in good time so that I can ask lotsa stoopido questions and get informative answers before I start lining my ducks up so to speak.

I intend to build a stock board 1st so that I can practice soldering and see how it goes before buying any boutique/more expensive parts at the outset. That way I can get my head around it all and if I completely bodge it up it won't be too costly lol (I don't seriously think this will happen btw).

Also I'd like to see how it sounds in stock form 1st so that I can evaluate any changes later on - better resisters , caps etc along with the effects of hot rodding etc.

I have asked for one of these to take a slightly different path for the selection of the source and because I thought I needed to solder as much as possible! Also it didn't cost too much at $16 so should be something interesting giving 6 inputs via relays. If I don't like how it works it can always be bypassed or taken out I guess.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...ml#post4716031

So some dumb questions to start so I can get my shizzle together....

1 What the fyk am I doing?

2 I know about the resisters that can be changed to improve sound but will getting better spec power caps (for example) have any noticeable effect in the longer term? Or would certain parts of the circuit benefit from this more than others?

3 Hook up wire , does this have to be rated at all for the build for power etc? I assume the mains in will have to be mains rated until it reaches the transformer but after this do I need to consider it? Any recommendations? Being Christmas I shall have some spare tinsel lying abound…..

3 Fuses - how to rate the one needed? Is it in circuit in he live mains side? guess I'll get an integrated IEC and fuse holder for the ease of installation etc.

4 As I understand resisters are non directional to place on the board (unlike caps) correct?

5 Transformers, recommended at 2*15 volts 50Va, I intend to go to the 600 level hot rod in time so is ok for that or do I need something higher rated? Also are better transformers worth buying, for example Toroidy do a premium range will these make difference over to normal ones?

6 I listen to headphones a bit late at night , can I run a another different set of outputs from it parallel to the ones connected to the power amps easily to connect my headphone amp?

7 Remote volume control, do or not do? Is this too much hassle to consider ?

8 Solder- looking at some but what sort of width/size is good for circuit board work to stop it getting too blobby? Thinner is better?

Think that's all for now! Any advice or comments gratefully received.

Cheers Andy (ElectroNumpty)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Get yer camera oot!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Certainly Marco , unfortunately all I have to show for it at the moment is this ! Lol

Dont worry once underway I'll stick some up.

Cheera Andy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Steve.

Hi Andy,
    Good on you mate !!!
    Welcome to the world of DCB1 !!!!

Take your time and lots of pics....
    I've got a spare fuse and holder pm me your address and I'll send you it.
    The caps that come supplied are really quite good if you bought the kit??? and shouldn't need replacing !!
    Remote or not ??? Well i guess it depends on what you want to spend Alps pot with remote and power board is well less than £100
    Khozmo and remote £360 ish

I tried the relay input board - no comment. Save £45 to 50 quid by not buying and populating, and wire straight
    to the Selector switch - one less piece of equipment in the chain!!!

A slightly bigger tx would be better if you go to 600mA but no need to go really expensive.
    Will send you the link for the one i got, reasonably cheap and capable of going the whole hog if you so desire.
    The dale resistors are better than you would think and already supplied if you bought the kit???
    I would also recommend Aluminium rather than steel case if your gonna push to 600mA unless your going to fit large heatsinks

S.
    Last edited by STD305M; 01-12-2018 at 22:02.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Certainly Marco , unfortunately all I have to show for it at the moment is this ! Lol

Dont worry once underway I'll stick some up.

Cheera Andy.
    Lol - no worries... You get the idea though - pics on threads like this are vital!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - no worries... You get the idea though - pics on threads like this are vital!

Marco.
    Pics speak louder than words !!
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Pics speak louder than words !!
    indeed!!

Bigman80 Guest

Good on ya mate.

Most decent hookup wire is rated. I used some 700v rated stuff. Seemed absolutely fine!!

Better components usually lead to better results. What I would say is don't go bezerk, there's only fine margins after a point.

Steve and I are trying some Audio note resistors and he's already took his out

Like I say, more money is not necessarily necessary.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

oh yes forgot rfi filter, best to fit one ?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    oh yes forgot rfi filter, best to fit one ?
    I had one, never tried it without so can't say what effect it had.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast