+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 384KHz with SEG over USB?

I'm Alastair.

Default 384KHz with SEG over USB?

I have been playing with upsampling to 192Khz in picoreplayer, which sounds very good and uses only a few percent of the CPU. This is over a coax link to the Caiman SEG. I wanted to try-out 384Khz but I have read the SPDIF output from the Allo Digione (and in general?) is limited to 192KHz. I reconfigured picoreplayer to use USB out put. That works fine to 192KHz but silence at 384KHz. I also tried feeding-in an upsampled WAV file - still slilence.

Is there an inherent limitation in the SEG (it is supposed to go up to double this) or could it be the USB cable I am using or am I simply doing something wrong?
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

192kHz is the best that you'll manage via the USB.

I'm Alastair.

Thanks that explains it. Are higher rates possible via the coax and optical S/PDIF (assuming I had a card that is also not limited?).
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

192kHz is the limit. I am not into trying to cater for every possible combination of formats and frequencies ever devised. I am only really interested in the sound quality.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    I have been playing with upsampling to 192Khz in picoreplayer, which sounds very good and uses only a few percent of the CPU. This is over a coax link to the Caiman SEG. I wanted to try-out 384Khz but I have read the SPDIF output from the Allo Digione (and in general?) is limited to 192KHz. I reconfigured picoreplayer to use USB out put. That works fine to 192KHz but silence at 384KHz. I also tried feeding-in an upsampled WAV file - still slilence.

Is there an inherent limitation in the SEG (it is supposed to go up to double this) or could it be the USB cable I am using or am I simply doing something wrong?
    Alistair,

You have the same front end that I have. Have you tried Audirvana?

I use that to upsample to DSD128 which goes to my Digione and then to the SEG. Sounds superb.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Alistair,

You have the same front end that I have. Have you tried Audirvana?

I use that to up sample to DSD128 which goes to my Digione and then to the SEG. Sounds superb.
    As I understand it you have to run Audirvana on a PC/Mac which I could do but don't want to leave a PC or laptop running all the time, which is why I tried up-sampling on the RPI3 (which sounds very good, even at 192 KHz). The data rate for DSD128 is basically the same as 352KHz (1 biut * 5.6448MHz = 16 bits*352KHz), so its interesting that goes first through the Digione and then the SEG unless it is being down-sampled along the way.
    Cheers

Alastair

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    192kHz is the limit. I am not into trying to cater for every possible combination of formats and frequencies ever devised. I am only really interested in the sound quality.
    On your web-site it says "The current range of high-end consumer DACs chips go up to 32 bit, but only 384kHz oversampling. The Caiman SEG DAC is capable of up to 768kHz performance." Is this therefore accessible purely internally to the DAC?
    Cheers

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    On your web-site it says "The current range of high-end consumer DACs chips go up to 32 bit, but only 384kHz oversampling. The Caiman SEG DAC is capable of up to 768kHz performance." Is this therefore accessible purely internally to the DAC?
    The DAC does oversampling. That doesn't mean that it accept incoming frequencies of that size.

+ Reply to Thread