+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I've definitely got one this time and wish I didn't bother

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Shaun, what's behind that statement? Not happy with digital photography? (asks he who is a die-hard film user )
    Check out any exhibitions that may be in your country as I have in mine. The quality of film based photography is just so stunning compared to digital. If the exhibition contains both film and digital side by side it is just so obvious which is which. In film photography I love the fact that there are so many films to choose from (black and white of course) with so many different qualities held within each film. On top of that you can then mess around with development to get an even broader set of qualities. My favourite was always Ilford FP4+ developed in Tetenal Neofin Blue on 120 roll film. After this of course you then have a wide choice of papers on which to print and even though the powers that be have effectively ruined printing papers by forcing the removal of heavy metals like cadmium, there are still some fine papers out there.

Lets check out digital shall we..?

Well, effectively you have what the CCD gives you. Yes you can manipulate with software but all that gives you is what the software programmer put into it and you'll always get those people who say that "If I want grain I just add it in Photoshop". Sorry but that is simply not grain. That is a very poor imitation of the real thing. When it comes to printing there are indeed some stunning cotton fibre papers out there on which to present your images but sadly these images have almost zero depth to them in a way that a silver halide print excels. Yes OK, if you want your images to look more like a graphic representation then fine, you'll be happy with that but if you are only interested in quality fine art you're not going to beat a silver halide print.

I guess in a way it depends on whether you are involved in photography because it is convenient or whether you are interested in photography because it is art.

Sorry to bust in on this thread. Just answering a question with a personal view.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Charging a customer to cover retailer's fees is not allowed but unfortunately, the retailer still pays the card processing company a fee. As I said above, I pay 3% for each and every transaction, not sure what I pay for debit cards but it isn't a "pittance".
    When I had my business I paid 2% through HSBC. I thought that was a bloody good deal.

I'm Dave.

Like everything else, prices have gone up. I think all processing companies charge very similar fees.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Didn't realise the deck in question has an inbuilt phono stage. I bet that is pretty grim. Can it be bypassed as the one in the Pioneer amp will be loads better, I'd bet any money.
    Is it possible that the output from the deck's phono stage is being fed to the amp's phono stage, resulting in double equalisation?
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    . 3 Cheers to that Sir !
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Is it possible that the output from the deck's phono stage is being fed to the amp's phono stage, resulting in double equalisation?

That would me more than just equalisation it would likely overload the phono stage on the amp.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I didn't think the deck had a built in phono stage? Just phono plugs for connecting to amp?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Update

Having tried a very eclectic variety of records (which are in far better condition than expected having spent many years in the loft) I am much happier with the sound, I'm actually quite liking it in fact, I can't put my finger on it but although overall SQ may not be technically as good as CD there's a naturalness (is that a word?) about it.
    Happy bunny now
    Glad this is the case Gaz, and Rumours is a funny old one. I've three different pressings that all sound uniquely underwhelming. Considering it's a classic from the golden age of LPs, all the pressings I've heard, apart from certain audiophile re-issues, have sounded recessed, flat and a bit 'meh'. Fast forward to 'Mirage' and you end up with brightness and sibilance (with the 'wrong' cart) that can strip paint off walls.

So much is down to the pressing.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Glad this is the case Gaz, and Rumours is a funny old one. I've three different pressings that all sound uniquely underwhelming. Considering it's a classic from the golden age of LPs, all the pressings I've heard, apart from certain audiophile re-issues, have sounded recessed, flat and a bit 'meh'. Fast forward to 'Mirage' and you end up with brightness and sibilance (with the 'wrong' cart) that can strip paint off walls.

Good point Jason.

The fact that we are playing, listening too, amplifying and hearing recorded music is so often forgotten.

We build these great high end systems to do what they should proeperly and in true audiophile / hifi sense, and by the nature of the beast, means they reveal and present what has been recorded, it's that simple.

Music that has been recorded well will sound as such, on the same hand if the recording has flaws those will be revealed too - Thats true hi-fi in my book.

Problem is some of us want our cake but dont like what's in it and then go round in circles trying to have a system that plays everything sounding completely fab.....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post

I love playing Rumours on vinyl, one of my fave vinyl spins. Really clear and crisp, I have an original copy.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I pay near enough everything with my debit card.

Bought two light bulbs and a pack of dog treats on Saturday for around four quid and paid via card. That's what it's for!

I seldom use cash, thirty quid lasts me a month. It may be different elsewhere, but I never get refused or charged extra for card payments.
    Same here, although I also use cash, but have never been told there was an extra charge for cards, especially these days with 'contactless' payments. The shop Macca was in needs to get with the times!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast