View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 7.14%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

2 14.29%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

1 7.14%
  • 6/10

3 21.43%
  • 7/10

1 7.14%
  • 8/10

3 21.43%
  • 9/10

2 14.29%
  • 10/10

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, December 2018: Placebo - 'Ball of Eyes'

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine, but I have a few contacts!
    I would love to be introduced to those contacts!!

I'm Martin.

Not quite in the same league as Curtis Mayfield although I can see some similarities.

I found it went on a bit, not enough variation for my liking so only 6/10 - sorry.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Deleted.

I just don’t get ‘funk fusion’ at all - it just irritates me and sounds like twiddly rubbish, session musicians warming up and unable to think of anything to actually play. I’m sure it is technically very competent, but so what! I gave this a score of 1 but would have happily given it 0. I rarely find myself in agreement with anything Justin writes but in this case I would also prefer to listen to the post punk Placebo.

Marco did ask for some contentious posting in the Album Club .
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

not sure i like or dislike this... last track was best, possibly as it was the last track and was a bit different from the rest, that sounded like an early 70's cop show soundtrack. That said it isnt bad either and was interesting to listen to....once. 5/10
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Default Placebo - Ball Of Eyes

Not quite sure what to make of this album - I gave it 6 for the reasons below

In parts I quite enjoyed it, then at other times I found it quite simplistic and became bored. Early on I was not sure if it was Jazz Fusion, Jazz/Funk or Soul, it felt confused. Track 5 Aria seemed to go nowhere, at least for me. Showbiz suite was clearly Jazz Fusion, but elements of a big band feel, and a good trumpet solo. I am not sure why but for me it all felt a bit laid back. Oh La La is just bizarre compared to the rest.

It reminded me of another album but I cannot think which one it is.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Placebo - Latin for 'I will please', and this album does just that.

I like it for the reasons others don't: it is sufficiently varied to hold my attention. Some of it is like Curtis Mayfield, some of it is like Soft Machine. Some tracks I preferred to others, but it was all enjoyable to my ears.

Who cares if it is Jazz; Funk; Jazz-Funk; Soul-Jazz; Jazz Fusion; Soul Fusion; ConFusion or even Cold Fusion? Music doesn't have to be pigeon-holed into any catagory.

What this album does is put a smile on my face - and that's good enough for me. 8/10
    Barry

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yer taste's in yer bum!

Marco.
    Nah it's shite. Face it, loser:wink:

I'm Edward.

Managed to have a listen - unsatisfying.

Clearly the members are talented and can get tracks together. Some interesting innovative stuff. Some good bass lines that provided structure to the stuff going on around.

But, for me, just too unemotional. Bland and insipid. No real soul as it were. I like music to tell a 'story' and have emotion - even if the music is not a genre I listen to normally. This album just left me cold. Fine for a plinky plonky nightclub of the 70s in the background type of music - but not for my listening at home.

Sorry. 3/10
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lee.

3/10

Reminded me of restaurant music,I nearly crept out of the toilet window half way through but unfortunately I stuck it out

I'm Richard.

I came in expecting Placebo as in the rock band thinking 'I never realised they had an album called Ball of Eyes' and then I realised that I was actually thinking about The Smashing Pumpkins, and not Placebo at all, so now I'm totally confused ;-).

I like this though. It's the sort of music I would have known, loved and grown up with if my parents had had better taste in music than John Denver and Barry Manilow. This is the sort of stuff I can imagine making car journeys that much more enjoyable - I'll have to try this in the car.

Every track is quite different too. Not dwelled any particular style so the whole thing is kept fresh. That last track does seem a little out of place but is only short so an interesting way to close nonetheless.

The only thing that annoys me is that the Spotify version sounds as if it has been recorded from an off-centre piece of vinyl. My wow and flutter sensitive ears are going mental. I hope this is just the Spotify version and not the recording itself..

7/10
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast