View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 7.14%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

2 14.29%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

1 7.14%
  • 6/10

3 21.43%
  • 7/10

1 7.14%
  • 8/10

3 21.43%
  • 9/10

2 14.29%
  • 10/10

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, December 2018: Placebo - 'Ball of Eyes'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, December 2018: Placebo - 'Ball of Eyes'

The Album Club rota for this year comes to a close with Charlie's (Sophistry) choice of Placebo 'Ball of Eyes'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Placebo - Ball of Eyes

Not to be confused with the Alt-Rock band from the 90s! This is one of the most incredible jazz-funk albums ever recorded. It has now been used by a huge number hip-hop producers for samples but, aside from the beautiful little snippets of sound which can be cut from it, each song is, in its complete form, a beautiful work of art. It was composed by Marc Moulin in 1971 and is the first of the albums recorded under the Placebo name. The other Placebo two albums, "1973" and "Placebo" are also incredible and definitely worth listening to! Stand out tracks include: Inner City Blues; Humpty Dumpty; and Aria.

YouTube:

https://youtu.be/INc7Y4qUhbs

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/74OvK12g3Vsc3cfksBoX7C
    Last edited by Album Club; 30-11-2018 at 22:15.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Love it - very groovy/funky and with an infectious '70s hippy vibe', just my kinda thing! Well recorded, too... Been listening to it on Tidal, and enjoyed it so much I'm going to seek out the vinyl version... Top tunes, man - great recco

Shades of Curtis Mayfield:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

I rather like this album, not heard anything by them before I will be listen to more of their work. I agree about a Curtis Mayfield feel ( Freddy's Dead is one of my all time favourites ), it has that tight, funky thing going on, how 70's is that. I'm off to listen to some more. 10/10 from me.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Spinning it now, I'm familiar with the band name as a guy I used to work with was a Jazz/Funk junky, but can't recall having heard them myself before.

EDIT:
    Just finished playing it - not really my thing, but I'm not sure Spotify does it justice as it sounds a little 'flat', bet it sounds good on vinyl. Reminded me in places of Steve Winwood, which I liked. Not something I would buy though.
    6/10
    Last edited by Tim; 02-12-2018 at 11:21.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Richie.

Excellent choice. New to me. Loved it. 8/10

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Love it - very groovy/funky and with an infectious '70s hippy vibe', just my kinda thing! Well recorded, too... Been listening to it on Tidal, and enjoyed it so much I'm going to seek out the vinyl version... Top tunes, man - great recco
    Glad you like it, Marco. Unfortunately, the original records are worth crazy amounts these days...

I'm Justin.

Not keen. I think I prefer the contemporary Placebo by a wide margin.

It is almost cool but misses something, I think. 5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    Glad you like it, Marco. Unfortunately, the original records are worth crazy amounts these days...
    Yeah, I can imagine, but I have a few contacts!

Good stuff though - I think it would sound good played loud and proud on my bad-ass sound system, in my even badder-assed car

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Not keen. I think I prefer the contemporary Placebo by a wide margin.

It is almost cool but misses something, I think. 5/10.
    Yer taste's in yer bum!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast