+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiffing OTL headphone amplifier

I'm Alan.

Default Spiffing OTL headphone amplifier

I have very recently received an OTL headphone amplifier designed by Helmut Becker in the 1980's.

It uses four PCL805 valves plus an opamp for DC control. It is a very clever circuit that compensates for valve characteristic variations and tube ageing.
    It was somewhat poorly (no output) so has had some remedial work done on it, particularly two new output capacitors as one was particularly leaky, putting 63V on the output without phones connected. The gain was particularly high so I have reduced that as well.

It was the forerunner of the RKV headphone amps by Audio Valve, not cheap by any means :

However its performance is exceptional, being valve based it can drive high impedance phones with aplomb. It sounds superb, the best headphone sound I have heard.

It's a keeper
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

It could do with being prettier

Good work on the repair. Another piece destined for the skip is saved!!

+ Reply to Thread