+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s this component ?

I'm Andrew.

Default What’s this component ?

Hi guys ,
    Thought I’d give the potentiometers a clean on the Revox b750 and whilst that was a success I noticed a distorted/burnt component on the power selector switch on the rear of the amp , I obviously need to replace it but I’m not sure what to look for or order , any help please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Looks like an x2 suppressor capacitor.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

Yes an x2 paper suppression cap, 250v rated. Modern polypropylene replacements can be found at RS, Farnell, CPC, Digikey etc.

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electronic.../x2-capacitors
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Looks like an x2 suppressor capacitor.
    Cheers Grant , that’s coming up trumps
    Just got to find the correct values

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Yes an x2 paper suppression cap, 250v rated. Modern polypropylene replacements can be found at RS, Farnell, CPC, Digikey etc.

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electronic.../x2-capacitors
    Cheers Neal

I'm Alan.

Can't see what value it is on top but it MUST be rated X2 as it is connected across the mains.

If the replacement doesn't have X2 on it do not fit. X2 indicates a self healing capacitor.
    Most modern X2 rated caps are now rated at 275V or even 300V AC.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Can't see what value it is on top but it MUST be rated X2 as it is connected across the mains.

If the replacement doesn't have X2 on it do not fit. X2 indicates a self healing capacitor.
    Most modern X2 rated caps are now rated at 275V or even 300V AC.
    Thanks Alan

I'm Chris.

Its a Siemens brand, Kemet Paper capacitor, with what looks to be of 100nf or 0.1uf value

Sorry I had the wrong part of the schematic ... as you said it is across the power selection switch
    I was misled thinking it was a front panel switch part of the loudness circuit... Yes agree
    with other posts. Checking the schematic it is on page 3 of the B750 schematic straight after the fuse
    across active and neutral, and indeed is 100nf @ 250vAC
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 29-11-2018 at 10:16.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Its a Siemens brand, Kemet Paper capacitor, with what looks to be of 100nf or 0.1uf value

Sorry I had the wrong part of the schematic ... as you said it is across the power selection switch
    I was misled thinking it was a front panel switch part of the loudness circuit... Yes agree
    with other posts. Checking the schematic it is on page 3 of the B750 schematic straight after the fuse
    across active and neutral, and indeed is 100nf @ 250vAC
    Thanks for the input and confirmation Chris .

I'm Simon.

I'd be tempted to look for a metalised film replacement rather than a like-for-like metalised paper.

Class X caps are there to block differential mode noise, might be worth investigation what caused the failure.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast