+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which turntable to keep.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by tlscapital View Post
    Exactly. I have done that and more even. And I've done it carefully and gradually on my initially 'Improved' S II SME to be able to attest that the my DL-102 truly benefited from such inertia increase. Since the assembly of those SME 3009 are relatively simple, few basic tools should suffice. 4 hands are welcome to build back some parts if one is going to rewire though.

The Michell 'TecnoArm' that I never have encountered is apparently of the unipivot bearing kind and I don't know how much it's design and balance can support extra mass addition and/or inertia on it's unipivot bearing as well though... So unless the OP is seeking to use only high compliant cartridges that of there's not much about, the SME offers more versatility I find.
    The Michell Tecnoarm is a Rega derivitive and is not a unipivot. It is a very robust, finely tuned arm and can have extra mass added to enable it to allow low compliance cartridges to give their best.

I'm Simon.

Shim the denon, use with thorens and sme sell the rest, buy more records.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm John.

Thanks for the continued comments, and as several have suggested, I have already added a headshell shim to the 103 for additional mass.

I'm Peter.

Another recommendation for the Verdier Platine, similar to Charlie's. I have had mine for 14 years, although modified re bearing, feet, power supply and motor and arm boards and bolts etc. I can not really see why I would want to change it. The only other TT I would add to it would be Grand Prix Monaco; its elegance and technical virtuosity as well as it sound would be a great addition.

I'm Winston.

I’d sell the 125/SME (103 too) and keep the V15III to use with the 125/Rega while I search for a more dynamic cart like a top-level A-T mm.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

I'm Joe.

I had to add weighted shims to my RB300/DL-103 to get it to sound 'right'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12