+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Amp Help/Advice Needed

I'm Martin.

Default Power Amp Help/Advice Needed

I have a Sirius (Gamut) D100 power amp which is a dual mono single mosfet model
    Two nights ago whilst warming the system up prior to listening all power went off and by the time I got a torch the room was filling with acrid smoke.
    I took the lid off the amp and found one of the transformers insulation was burnt and discoloured and stank!!!
    The power caps appear to be unmarked.
    Some pics below

Some of these are with flash and some normal.
    What are members opinion when something like this happens?
    With a transformer gone would repair be a cost effective option,presumably with dual mono both transformers would need to be replaced??
    Any engineers opinion welcome

BTW how do I test my speakers to see if there is any damage there? There was nothing playing and my RDC tripped everything out PDQ
    HELP
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Geoff.

Put new batteries in your smoke detectors!

Seriously though, shouldn't an expensive and powerful amp like that have some built in safety features like thermal cutout?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Speak to Alan (Firebottle), he's near you. He can probably advise and may repair too. If it was me, I'd replace both transformers with matched new items.

I'm Grant.

assuming a short somewhere so will need looked at before a new tx is fitted..surprised if no fuse was fitted inside. but its another reminder that you need to be in attendance when gear is on.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Wouldn't an event like this have drawn a huge current from the mains..? If so then why no fuse or other protection device..? I truly feel for you, this is the kind of thing no one wants to face with any kind of gear let alone very expensive gear.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

Put new batteries in your smoke detectors!

Seriously though, shouldn't an expensive and powerful amp like that have some built in safety features like thermal cutout?

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    assuming a short somewhere so will need looked at before a new tx is fitted..surprised if no fuse was fitted inside. but its another reminder that you need to be in attendance when gear is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Wouldn't an event like this have drawn a huge current from the mains..? If so then why no fuse or other protection device..? I truly feel for you, this is the kind of thing no one wants to face with any kind of gear let alone very expensive gear.
    I too am surprised by the lack of fuse on the case, but reading the Owners Guide it mentions some serious circuit protection which I do not understand which I think is aimed at muting the output signal.
    Thank the Lord for my domestic RDC
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Wilson Benesch Actors

I'm David.

Sorry to hear this, should never happen to an amp of this quality. Inform the importer.

I'm Alan.

Hi Martin,
    I am very surprised there isn't an internal fuse. I can take a look and repair it with pleasure, it sounds to me as if a rectifier could have failed and put a short or partial short on the transformer.

I'm Dominic.

It's not uncommon for mains transformers to have shorted turns and burn out, so probably a new one will get the power amp working once more.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    I too am surprised by the lack of fuse on the case, but reading the Owners Guide it mentions some serious circuit protection which I do not understand which I think is aimed at muting the output signal.
    Thank the Lord for my domestic RDC
    Further update:-
    I was perplexed that I could not find a fuse on the Sirius so I consulted the blurb and yes I found a 2.5 slow blow fuse so neat that I had missed it
    The blurb said that the fuse would go when power consumption reaches 600 watts
    The fuse is intact but the RDC tripped everything out before the fuse went

The moral of the story is make sure you have a decent RDC
    Some folks say that an RDC can have a negative effect on hifi sound but there are models that are better than others (consult Uncle Russ in the North) !!!!
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Wilson Benesch Actors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast