+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenco L75 turntable mat

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Back to part of my original post

Anyone else tried direct to platter?

Gary
    Yes I preferred a platter mat. The 75 is a great deck but pretty crappy when transmitting motor vibration directly into the idler wheel and then straight into the platter unless the motor is decoupled. Some people actually like to try and experiment with platter > vinyl > then record your playing.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes I preferred a platter mat. The 75 is a great deck but pretty crappy when transmitting motor vibration directly into the idler wheel and then straight into the platter unless the motor is decoupled. Some people actually like to try and experiment with platter > vinyl > then record your playing.
    Interesting, I didn't hear any evidence of mistracking that could have been related to motor vibration, in fact it tracked one of my torture tracks without issue.

I will try with HF News test record tomorrow to listen for problems and check against the original mat.

I did try with my Linn turntable mat, and it was rubbish with bass all over the place.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Gary.

Hi fi sound test record.

No mat.

Using a well used Ortofon Vivo Red moving coil.

Test 2a 300Hz lateral + 11 dB
    Test 3a 300Hz vertical + 7 dB

Both passed

I'm happy with that.

Will check with mat tomorrow.

The turntable is without the sprung base, sitting on carpeted floor.....not ideal I know.

Gary

I'm Andrew.

I went through a phase of "measuring" everything I could to try and understand and explain how the my 75 performed or sounded. You can drive yourself nuts. The only piece of advice I can give you is experiment, trust your ears but most importantly, have FUN! Good luck with your experiments.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I went through a phase of "measuring" everything I could to try and understand and explain how the my 75 performed or sounded. You can drive yourself nuts. The only piece of advice I can give you is experiment, trust your ears but most importantly, have FUN! Good luck with your experiments.
    Thanks for your comments

I do like the sound without the mat, it was your comments about vibration that prompted me to have a measure as a kind of verification of what these old ears were telling me.

I must admit refurbishing the L75 is fun, enjoyable as a challenge mechanically and electrically.

Gary

I'm Kai.

I have two vinyl records stacked on top of the platter (coupled both to the platter and each other with a thickish layer of grease) and then a mat on top of that. For the mat, everything I've tried has worked quite well, which includes the original mat, spotted cork mat, flat cork+rubber combound (this is what I've ended up using most) and a felt mat.

Used this way, sonically the felt mat is probably the odd one out. Still, it does work rather well and is worth a try IMO. Subjectively speaking, it seems to perhaps present the music in just a bit more airy and dimensional way with a slightly leaner bass and lower mids.

Originally the stacked vinyl on top of the platter were there just to get the VTA right, but I noticed they did seem to make things sound just the slightest bit clearer and better controlled. That or placebo - either way they stay for now I'm yet to try stacked platters, I have the platters but still miss the extender.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    I have two vinyl records stacked on top of the platter (coupled both to the platter and each other with a thickish layer of grease) and then a mat on top of that.
    Not sure what to say about that. My immediate thoughts were that you are either a genius or a nut!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12