+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical technical question re hard-wired multiple socket extension

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The OP isn’t suggesting that he hard wires two leads to the 13A wall socket - I wish people would read the actual question before starting to ‘suck their teeth’!
    i stand by what i say. if unsure, dont do it. if you want to find out if its legal and safe you need a qualified man to tell you, preferably in writing.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

The OP isn’t suggesting that he hard wires two leads to the 13A wall socket - I wish people would read the actual question before starting to ‘suck their teeth’!

Reading the opening sentence in the OP's post, the key question of electrical safety is raised:
    "Is there any UK electrical safety issue from the following:"

All responses have been based on this and the responses totally appropriate ... no 'teeth sucking' involved'

I'm Deleted.

I don't think it is unfair to expect respondents to read more than the first sentence of a post before they write their response (in fact, my comment was not directed toward Grant - but I'm sure he he is grateful that you have come running to his assistance)!

You don't have to be an electrical guru to know that their are potential issues when dealing with mains voltages. The OP's question is about a specific situation and, as already pointed out by an earlier contributor, leads configured exactly as the OP suggests already exist and are easily available complete with all relevant CE certification!

As for your claim that "All responses have been based on this and the responses totally appropriate", well that just isn't true, or you haven't read all the responses; because at least two are just generic 'electricity is dangerous stuff' advice and do not address the specific question at all.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

depends on the two cables being in need of the same fuse rating, if they are not individually fused. thats my main concern. if one requires a 3 amp and the other a 13 amp, then you have a potential issue
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

As for your claim that "All responses have been based on this and the responses totally appropriate", well that just isn't true, or you haven't read all the responses; because at least two are just generic 'electricity is dangerous stuff' advice and do not address the specific question at all.
    You made a sweeping generalisation ... and got one in return.

If you had a beef about two of the responses then address them directly rather than a blanket 'tut tut'

I'm Ken.

Don't mess with mains voltage unless you are confident that you know what you are doing.

That said, there is nothing wrong with what you are proposing.

I use an IEC kettle type distribution block, 1 in 10 out, it runs the whole of my set up from a single 13 amp plug/wall socket. The distribution block has a 10 amp reset-able trip. The low current fuses inside each bit of kit protects them. The 13 amp fuse in the single 3 pin plug protects the ring main from a direct short, should one of the leads get nipped and short out. The 10 amp trip is additional safety for the gear/leads but is there because the connectors are only rated at 10 amps (each). I have volt and amp meters in my distribution unit. The system pulls a 6 to 7 Amp surge on start up and uses 0.7 amps in use at high volume. I have 2 stereo power amps and an active crossover, Pre, TT, Phono, DAC, CD, a strip light, my TV and a laptop. I never use everything at once, but with most of it in use at any one time it still draws only 0.7 amp or less, after the initial inrush at start up. The power amps are class D with SMPS, these are notorious for having a very large current draw at start up, but for a very short time, less than half a second.

If you lack knowledge/confidence, look up the Naim "Hydra", this is a hard wired plug with up to 4 IEC output leads, perhaps look at using something like this, as its just like wiring a plug. TNT Audio do a DIY project using the same component in the build and folks on ebay used to sell ready made "Hydras" but I can only find the plug. I used to use one that I made after seeing it on TNT.

TNT article: https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/hydra_e.html
    ebay link to 4 way plug: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiway-...8dDH:rk:1:pf:0

It was no where near that price when I built mine (£19.99) but that was a while back, from Maplins I think.
    Last edited by Qwin; 22-11-2018 at 10:46.

I'm Peter.

I am theOP. Thanks for your comments. It appears that it is safe for the UK from the look of the Grahams/Naim hydra which you have referred me to, and is effectively the same thing. The one I am looking at purchasing is made in Europe, I was concerned that the lack of individual fused plugs for each component might be an issue in the UK as they don't have that in Europe. But it seems that with the amp and cd player each having their own internal fuses, and with the plug from the hydra having a 13 amp fuse, and with the consumer unit having an RCBO it should all be safe. The lack of individual plugs/fuses from the cd player and amp to the hydra/distribution block should not have any effect. Again, if I have misunderstood please do correct me.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckworp View Post
    I am theOP. Thanks for your comments. It appears that it is safe for the UK from the look of the Grahams/Naim hydra which you have referred me to, and is effectively the same thing. The one I am looking at purchasing is made in Europe, I was concerned that the lack of individual fused plugs for each component might be an issue in the UK as they don't have that in Europe. But it seems that with the amp and cd player each having their own internal fuses, and with the plug from the hydra having a 13 amp fuse, and with the consumer unit having an RCBO it should all be safe. The lack of individual plugs/fuses from the cd player and amp to the hydra/distribution block should not have any effect. Again, if I have misunderstood please do correct me.
    You are understanding things correctly, I only have a single 13amp plug/fuse for my 10 leads.
    As long as you use leads capable of carrying the current for each unit and the single lead to the wall socket, can handle the total current for all the units, you will be fine. There is no legal requirement or safety standard that you will be infringing in the UK. Taking unnecessary fuses out of the circuit might even improve the sound. The reason every UK appliance with a 3 pin plug has a fuse, is that it could be plugged directly into your wall socket and ring main. It's additional protection for the ring main and consumer unit fuse and stops the lead catching fire if it is jammed in a door etc and should be the first thing to blow. It is to high a value to protect your gear, which usually has a lower value fuse inside, as you have found.

I'm Peter.

Thank you Ken. The European manufacturer recommends, for optimum sound quality, to have no fuse on the wall plug, as they do in Europe. However this worries me though I guess it shouldn’t as the Uk does seem to be alone in having fused wall plugs.

I'm Martin.

it won't make a blind bit of difference.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast