+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical technical question re hard-wired multiple socket extension

I'm Peter.

Default Electrical technical question re hard-wired multiple socket extension

Is there any UK electrical safety issue from the following:
    a 2-way extension block from which the 2 component cables come hard-wired out directly to be plugged into the amp and CD player with a standard IEC connector. So instead of each component having a 13 amp plug their IEC connector cable would be hard-wired to the extension block. The extension block would then be plugged in as normal to the wall with a fused plug. So I guess the question is, is it OK to replace 2 x fused plugs with a device which combines the two cables and then you only have one fused plug to the wall. The fact that European plugs don't have fuses suggests to me that this would be OK.

I'm interested in the safety angle only.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm Mick.

Hi i wont comment on the safety aspect. But will say that your amp probably has a higher rated fuse than the CD player.
    So if an internal fault developed it might not be protected.

You can buy a ready made one..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-9m-13A-UK-3-Pin-Fused-Mains-Lead-Y-Splitter-to-2-IEC-Power-Sockets-Kettle-Lead/272304272996?epid=1684036642&hash=item3f66997664:g :ecwAAOSw7XZXg8oU:rk:10f:0

I'm Mark.

if all of the cable is rated correctly it will be fine

I'm Jason.

The fuse in the plug is designed to protect the mains lead, so as long as the correct sized plug top fuse is selected to provide adequate protection for the lowest rated mains lead for the Amp and CD player, then it is fine.

Easiest way is to check what rating the two mains leads are (the lead may have conductor size printed on it or the plug may have a current rating on it) and what fuse is currently in the plug tops.

European plugs do not have fuses in them as adequate protection for the mains leads is provided by the MCB/breaker in the consumer unit. In the UK this is not always the case due to our use of Ring Final Circuits.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    Hi i wont comment on the safety aspect. But will say that your amp probably has a higher rated fuse than the CD player.
    So if an internal fault developed it might not be protected.

You can buy a ready made one..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-9m-13A-UK-3-Pin-Fused-Mains-Lead-Y-Splitter-to-2-IEC-Power-Sockets-Kettle-Lead/272304272996?epid=1684036642&hash=item3f66997664:g :ecwAAOSw7XZXg8oU:rk:10f:0
    I agree with this Buying a ready made one is the thing to do. Hard wiring sockets is not a good idea. Aside from added errors of getting polarity of active and Neutral wrong, and not wiring
    correctly safety earth.

Any given mains outlet this hard wired attaches to is capable of delivering 10-15 amps of current.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocution
    Death can occur from any shock that carries enough sustained current to stop the heart. Low currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart, which is reversible via defibrillator but is nearly always fatal without help. Currents as low as 30 mA AC or 300-500 mA DC applied to the body surface can cause fibrillation. Large currents (> 1 A) cause permanent damage via burns and cellular damage.

The properties of insulation typically plastic, and international standards ensure the same device ready made meets these essential safety standards.

I'm Mark.

If your that worried youd never change a plug

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
    If your that worried youd never change a plug
    When you change a plug you are not exposed to bare wire connections, rather you are holding a insulated mains plug
    prior to inserting into a similarly insulated socket. The thread provider as indeed anyone reading this needs to be aware
    of the risks of mains electricity when attempting to use mains electricity any differently.

I'm Grant.

If in any doubt, don't do it. You also have to consider nullifying of your insurance if anything non standard is fitted to your electricity supply
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

The OP isn’t suggesting that he hard wires two leads to the 13A wall socket - I wish people would read the actual question before starting to ‘suck their teeth’!
    Account Deleted

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    When you change a plug you are not exposed to bare wire connections, rather you are holding a insulated mains plug
    prior to inserting into a similarly insulated socket.

Don't know about NZ but when you change a plug in the UK you undo the wires, release them from the redundant plug and then re-attach them to the new one using the screw posts provided. So yes. changing a plug does involve handling 'bare wire' connections so the two situations ARE comparable.

That said, what the OP is suggesting is dismantling an existing electrical fitting and reassembling it in a manner that is not applicable and for which no provision has been made at the design stage and for which it has not been tested or approved ... personally I would also go with the advice to buy a 'ready-made' solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast