+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schiit Mani w/ Ortofon 2m Blue?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi
    The schitt mani is a mighty fine phono stage, i had one and only parted with it as i moved to mc.
    If i ever went back to mm i wouldn't consider anything else unless under 400 quid

Steve...
    Thanks Steve, that's quite an endorsement.

I'm Steven.

Default Schiit mani and 2m blue

I'm useing that combination as we speak and listening to Brubeck-Take Five. This is a very good combo. I also have a Grado Statement out for retip, and though it's a .05 mv cartridge the mani can be set to 59db output (it's normally at 48db), which is enough if your speakers are somewhat efficient as my Def tech. are with the subwoofer set on the "B" speaker outs of my Arcam integrated amp.
    Last edited by Sal1011; 03-12-2018 at 14:59.

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Capture View Post
    I have an Thorens td203 tt w/ Ortofon 2m Blue and cheap Berhringer pp400 phono ...
    The sound is veiled yet thin w/ shrill highs on many vinyl recordings...
    Thanks
    Mike
    I had a similar sound issue with a unipivot arm and various carts including Denon 160, all through a Project phonobox. I only solved it when I changed to a Rega arm but I am now convinced the problem was the low mass of the unipivot arm, the Rega being higher. I wonder if adding some mass to the headshell end of your arm to raise the effective mass would be a cheap thing to try? The 2M Blue has lower compliance than earlier similar Ortofons and was designed with Regas in mind.

Just a suggestion.
    Ron

Main: Michell Tecnodec Rega RB600/Tecno bits, Ortofon 530MkII, Beard P100 phono, Naim Uniti Atom, ProAc D20R

Study: JBL L52 Classic, Bluesound Powernode 3, Technics SL-1210GR Denon 110, Project Tube Box S2 phono stage

Other stuff: Technics SL1200 Mk2, Dali Spektor 1, Pro-ject MAIA S3 etc.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REW View Post
    I had a similar sound issue with a unipivot arm and various carts including Denon 160, all through a Project phonobox. I only solved it when I changed to a Rega arm but I am now convinced the problem was the low mass of the unipivot arm, the Rega being higher. I wonder if adding some mass to the headshell end of your arm to raise the effective mass would be a cheap thing to try? The 2M Blue has lower compliance than earlier similar Ortofons and was designed with Regas in mind.

Just a suggestion.
    Thanks for you insight into possible mismatching. I may be getting a Schiit Mani phono stage for Christmas. I'll see how that changes the sound then. Anyway, after what I have has played as the weeks go by, either I'm adjusting to it or its breaking in more. Still thinner w/ less body than what I feel it should be. And not a convincing and authoritative a sound either. I report back in after Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12