+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contributions

I'm Steve.

Default Contributions

I have been intrigued lately at the changing face of AOS and wondered why there was more adverts. I read with interest the notice board announcement with regards to contribution and also Marco's explanation about running costs etc. I am of course ignorant with regards to such cost because i am merely an end user and contribute opinions and post on what has always been to me a free environment in much the same way as social media. I can fully understand why trade members contribute because they are using the platform to sell their wares though baffled as to why the majority of forum users are Audio enthusiasts merely joining in debate and sharing experiences etc. My next queries is how much is an exceptionable contribution? A guide to this would be helpful.it's a little like secret Santa without a set amount, those who contribute what they can afford are going to look a bit of a twat to those a little well heeled and more able to contribute a substantial amount (a little bit like hi-fi itself)

Just saying.

I'm gone.

If the dealer contributions no longer cover the costs then why should we expect Marco to dig into his own pocket?
    Why shouldn't those who enjoy using the forum be given the opportunity to help support it?

As for the social media comparison, it's become pretty obvious there that when you don't pay for the product, then you are the product.

Contribute as little or as much as you wish. What's the problem?
    The "coveted badge" isn't even a good guide to who is choosing to contribute as I am sure some will choose to do so anonymously.

I'm Alan.

Have you looked at the Contribute tab Steve?
    A small amount from a good number of members goes a long way to help.

I'm Martin.

I've moved this thread to Critic's Corner.

AoS is still free, no-one has to make a donation to read the site or to post. And unlike 'social media' like Facebook etc you are not the product. We don't harvest your data and flog it.

You can buy and sell equipment here for free, and you don't have to donate to do that either. Unlike a lot of audio forums - and you don't need to have a minimum 50 posts to buy and sell. Just 5 so you can send and receive PMs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I have been intrigued lately at the changing face of AOS and wondered why there was more adverts. I read with interest the notice board announcement with regards to contribution and also Marco's explanation about running costs etc. I am of course ignorant with regards to such cost because i am merely an end user and contribute opinions and post on what has always been to me a free environment in much the same way as social media. I can fully understand why trade members contribute because they are using the platform to sell their wares though baffled as to why the majority of forum users are Audio enthusiasts merely joining in debate and sharing experiences etc. My next queries is how much is an exceptionable contribution? A guide to this would be helpful.it's a little like secret Santa without a set amount, those who contribute what they can afford are going to look a bit of a twat to those a little well heeled and more able to contribute a substantial amount (a little bit like hi-fi itself)

Just saying.
    Hi Steve,

How's it going matey? Hope all is well. Are you still doing your radio shows? I haven't had a chance to tune in for a while!

Thanks for your feedback on this. Far better querying something you're unsure about, and getting a proper answer, than not doing so and remaining baffled. The simple explanation for the above (in bold) is outlined in this announcement (which you must have missed): https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-personal-data

The subject is further discussed in the following post of mine (#96), which outlines how we were previously relying on income from Skimlinks, to pay towards the site's running costs, and what's happened since changes to GDPR have drastically cut that income: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...48#post1023448

You'll also notice the Donations tab, which we've just activated, being mentioned there.

Therefore, the short answer to your question is that "the changing face of AoS", as you put it, is simply down to the fact that before the recent changes to GDPR, AoS was effectively 'self-funding', through income received from Skimlinks, trade member fees, and a *tiny* amount paid from Google Adsense, before when ads on the forum weren't as prominent as they currently are (though invisible if you use an effective Ad-blocker on your browser).

Essentially therefore, AoS stopped being self-funding, and started costing me money (a significant amount monthly), when the income from Skimlinks dried up. I wasn't willing to allow that to continue, as the forum was always designed to be self-funding. Therefore, something had to be done about it.

An option became available for us to maximise the revenue we obtained from our Google ads, the software controlling which before was only operating at around 40% of its capacity (didn't need to be any more 'aggressive' than that because of income then from Skimlinks), and so we took advantage of that option, in order to address the shortfall in the income we had been receiving before from Skimlinks, which is why there are now more adverts!

The *100% voluntary* Donation system recently implemented was simply put into place to allow members who wish to offer a small 'thank you' (and incidentally that's all it should be, in terms of the amount donated) for the provision of the forum itself and the free advertising services we currently provide, and to keep those free, unlike is the case on some other forums.

PLUS, it was also a way of allowing members to view the forum completely free of ANY advertising, once they'd made a small donation towards the running costs, as we considered that as only fair. Therefore, the best way to view the forum, ad-free, and also show that AoS means as much to you, as it does to us, is to become an AoS Contributor and receive the coveted badge, lol! Who knows, they might one day become collectable

Anyway mate, I hope that this helps explains things

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Being a newbie here I thought Floyddroids post was a good one. I have no idea how much it cost to run a forum and can understand the forum owner should not have to 'dig into his pockets' to keep it going. I don't do much buying and selling nowadays (maybe one or two items a year) and usually when selling at a very good price simply to get rid of said gear. I shall wait before making a contribution to see how I get on with this forum, although I always enjoyed the banter with members who were also on Audio Addict (I am a creep. ) or if I decide to sell something which could be in the near future.
    Just for the record AOS Contributor looks tacky.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    I shall wait before making a contribution to see how I get on with this forum, although I always enjoyed the banter with members who were also on Audio Addict
    I'm sure you like it here Dave . I liked your posts on AA, shame it folded.

Bigman80 Guest

Being a newbie here I thought Floyddroids post was a good one. I have no idea how much it cost to run a forum and can understand the forum owner should not have to 'dig into his pockets' to keep it going. I don't do much buying and selling nowadays (maybe one or two items a year) and usually when selling at a very good price simply to get rid of said gear. I shall wait before making a contribution to see how I get on with this forum, although I always enjoyed the banter with members who were also on Audio Addict (I am a creep. ) or if I decide to sell something which could be in the near future.
    Hi Dave,

Yes, a shame AA was lost for many reasons but you should be fine here. Very little conflict and generally the membership are generous with both their time and effort.

There are many forums out there and apart from DIYaudio, there aren't many that have the same 'feel'

I've had shed loads of help from the guys and girls here and the cost has been a few beer tokens when appropriate.

A good bunch. You'll be fine.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - we're working on it, Antonio! Anyway, as others have said, hang around and I'm sure you'll enjoy the informative and friendly vibe that makes AoS special

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Tacky? Really? I think it would look nice with a bit of tinsel round it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread