+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Steve.

Gonna have me a meatball marinara later, no one's getting their hands on that
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Shaun, that is exactly how I feel about my Spendors so I must investigate the SUB route. My speakers only go down to 50-60Hz so a SUB would really make a difference i am sure.
    I have my ambition set on a better pair of Spendors should money come my way

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I have my ambition set on a better pair of Spendors should money come my way
    SP100R?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    SP100R?
    LOL, they would have to be small and have a midrange to die for. Then again, I do like the look of the Sterling Broadcast Monitor in a really fancy wood finish. Oh yeah and the mini Harbeth

I'm Svend.

Well it's been a while now and I continue to be really amazed at the improvement the sub has had to the sound from my system. Yesterday I played an album by Kiasmos and the extra depth and emotion in the sound was bloody amazing. The album 'Older' by George Michael is just so much more than it was before. I have the sub set so that it just reproduces the lowest frequencies and at such a volume it doesn't intrude in negative ways on the high bass notes. I love the depth and ambience that it adds to the sound. Money very well spent as I got to keep the stunning midrange of the Spendors.
    This is great feedback Shaun. Good to hear. It has inspired me to look seriously into a sub now. Once I get closer to starting the hunt, I may post back with some questions, if you don't mind.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Dave.

I also have a BK XLS 200 and I can't detect any difference between low level and high level inputs, only thing I do know is I had mine set to high and the bass was over powering the speakers, backed it down like others have said and now its not drowning out the mid/treble. I mostly use mine for Octoberfest music.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Shaun.

OK there is some music I would not use the sub for but that would mainly be jazz with vocals. Mine gets used mainly for electronic music such as the Chemical Brothers, Younger Brother, Shpongle, Hallucinogen etc etc. Oh yeah and Talvin Singh whose music benefits so much.

The thing just adds so much low frequency depth it extends the emotion so much. I would not want to use it in a very large room though. Those resonances would be quite difficult to tame.

I'm Svend.

OK there is some music I would not use the sub for but that would mainly be jazz with vocals. Mine gets used mainly for electronic music such as the Chemical Brothers, Younger Brother, Shpongle, Hallucinogen etc etc. Oh yeah and Talvin Singh whose music benefits so much.

The thing just adds so much low frequency depth it extends the emotion so much. I would not want to use it in a very large room though. Those resonances would be quite difficult to tame.

Are you hearing problems with resonances in your room? Have you tried out different placements in the room?

BTW, good taste in music. Been a fan of Chemical Brothers for ages.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Are you hearing problems with resonances in your room?
    No mate, no resonances in this room but our last room was pretty big and would have caused some bloody headaches. Regarding music, I love electronic stuff even the ambient inventions of Brian Eno. Leftfield, love it; Underworld, love it; Kiasmos, love it; Trentemolle, love it. There is just so much stuff out there with electronica and most of it makes full use of the subwoofer. In fact, one of my most favourite bands, Ozric Tentacles benefits from the addition of the sub especially with their newer recordings.

I'm Steve.

No mate, no resonances in this room but our last room was pretty big and would have caused some bloody headaches. Regarding music, I love electronic stuff even the ambient inventions of Brian Eno. Leftfield, love it; Underworld, love it; Kiasmos, love it; Trentemolle, love it. There is just so much stuff out there with electronica and most of it makes full use of the subwoofer. In fact, one of my most favourite bands, Ozric Tentacles benefits from the addition of the sub especially with their newer recordings.
    Future Sound Of London has its moments too
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast