+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Martin.

Whilst I agree that it is possible to get subs to work well especially in an active system using digital crossovers I reckon a better solution would be Tannoy Eatons:

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...571da19d3650e0

They won't mind that the room is small nor will they mind being jammed up against the wall or even into the corners. And bass will be more than sufficient. They'll make the Spendors plus a sub sound like toys. Okay they are bit spendy but the original versions do come up second hand for a lot less.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

You may not have seen this post, it maybe of help as it is related.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...58-Big-woofers
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Whilst I agree that it is possible to get subs to work well especially in an active system using digital crossovers I reckon a better solution would be Tannoy Eatons:

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...571da19d3650e0

They won't mind that the room is small nor will they mind being jammed up against the wall or even into the corners. And bass will be more than sufficient. They'll make the Spendors plus a sub sound like toys. Okay they are bit spendy but the original versions do come up second hand for a lot less.
    Tannoys to follow Spendors?
    Well, they may do scale and bass but they throw the wonderful tonal neutrality and naturalness of the Spendors straight out of the window.
    (IMO )

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Tannoys to follow Spendors?
    Well, they may do scale and bass but they throw the wonderful tonal neutrality and naturalness of the Spendors straight out of the window.
    (IMO )
    I grant you they are different to the Spendors. But I reckon they would be a completely satisfactory solution in these specific circumstances. And there's a lot more to Tannoys than just scale and bass.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I grant you they are different to the Spendors. And there's a lot more to Tannoys than just scale and bass.
    Yes, a bucketload of cash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

I once heard some Tannoys at Preston railway station and I must say I wasn't impressed. Voices sounded terrible.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Yes, a bucketload of cash
    lol. The Spendors are £700 so they aren't exactly giving them away. For me I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that does exactly what I want in my room. For someone who listens to a lot of electronica with the sub bass and that, those Spendors wouldn't be my first thought for a recommendation.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

OK for TV surround sound. Kiss of death for Hi Fi
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Dennis.

I would agree with your post 13 Jerry, but based on Tannoy Gold 15 Lancasters in the early 70s, in comparison with a BC1.

The mid was so smooth on the latter, but that on the Gold so rough that my haring test showed a correlative inverse FR after 8 years of listening to the Tannoys with 10 watts per channel max.

I'm Craig.

Borrow a sub and see if you like it.
    Jobs a good ‘un!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast