+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Grant, I have taken the spare stereo phono outputs from the preamp and connected to left/right input on the sub. It must just tie the two together into a mono signal. Even though my sub is only 100 Watts or so there is plenty of low end reinforcement with the volume below half way. It really is quite effective. My last speakers before these were B&W CM8 S2's and these would definitely have benefited from this sub as their low end was not really that low. Before those I used KEF Q500's and they went much lower than the CM8's. Yet another case of live and learn. Another case of being dropped into a situation and coming out smiling.
    Cheers shaun. I was considering adding to speaker line. Thought that might have been way you did it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I have my sub (in second system) going from high level input on sub, using Neutrik plug, to connections on one of the speakers, with yellow part of lead hanging unconnected. Sounds fine to me, but is there a better way? Amp is an Amptastic Mini-1, so not really any options there methinks.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Steve , why cant you run off the speaker posts on the back of the amp ? What make is your sub ?

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin, The amp in question is an Amptastic Mini-1, which is tiny and the speaker posts are VERY close together. I was a bit scared of astray wire possibly touching where it shouldn't and doing some damage. I think perhaps I should 'man up' and give it a go anyway. No guts no glory

Sub is BK XLS200-DF.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Default Another bloody dilemma.

OK so here we go again. A weekend or two back, a friend came over and stayed. We listened to quite a bit of music on mine and Sue's sound system whereupon he said he thought that the bass wasn't very good as it didn't go low enough and there wasn't enough definition. Now this guy uses KEF Q700's which back in their day were known for an overpowered, overblown bass but a couple of years ago I used KEF Q500's and had better results. I bought the Q500's over the Q700's because of their superior bass quality and better, tighter sound and have to admit that on the CD 'I'm Thankful' by Spanky Wilson and Quantic the really low stuff was better on those speakers than I am currently getting. After the Q500's I changed to B&W CM8 S2's and immediately lost that extra low frequency stuff on tracks like the one mentioned but sadly, that extra low bass is still missing as it also is on 'On The Run' by Pink Floyd.

Now I know that subs can only go so low as can any loudspeaker system but I did think it would reproduce the stuff I had become accustomed to. Yes, the sub has more solidity and control but it isn't reproducing what I know is there from my time with the KEF Q500's.

Maybe I should reinvestigate Q500's. They might just fit this room.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi Martin, The amp in question is an Amptastic Mini-1, which is tiny and the speaker posts are VERY close together. I was a bit scared of astray wire possibly touching where it shouldn't and doing some damage. I think perhaps I should 'man up' and give it a go anyway. No guts no glory

Sub is BK XLS200-DF.
    Shaun, yes its a pretty compact amp but the binding posts are big and look good quality. I would try out the back of the amp, looks like it would be an easy hitch up to me.

I'm Alex.

I use an Auralex sub platform underneath my B&W ASW2500 and it comes recommended. I found it really tightened up the bass and added depth too. Could be a worthwhile investment for comparatively little outlay for anyone looking for improvements from their sub.

I discovered this after adding a similar product under my speaker stands which proved to be a complete revelation! I created a thread somewhere on the forum regarding these speaker platforms...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910