+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low quality signal to harm the speakers?

I'm Veiko.

Default Low quality signal to harm the speakers?

Hello!

I have noticed that some audio-fans don't connect their TV-s to their
    precious sound systems.
    This makes me wonder, do they/YOU(?) consider this to potentially damage their
    pricey speakers, considering that the signal from TV may not be as
    good as say from the CD-player?
    The audio signal I get from my TV is definitely very poor.
    It comes via internet to "box" then via scart to TV, then via RCA to Receiver.
    I am also experiencing occasional cracklings and bass-thumps from speakers when operating
    the TV, say turning it off/on.

I have no fancy speakers but would you warn against such practice?

Thank you!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I've had my TV connected to the audio gear for years, without problems.
    It's a great way of bypassing the crappy TV audio internals.
    In my case the TV has a Toslink out, so that is connected to my external DAC, which also has my Squeezebox Touch connected to it.

That is 95% of my audio playback on just one amplifier input - the other input I use is for my turntable setup.
    I don't have problems with cracks and bangs.
    If I did have such problems I would switch inputs or at least mute the amplifier output before doing anything with the TV. A remote controllable amp is a godsend in such instances.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

unless the sound is heavily distorted and cranked up loud you're not going to damage the speakers.

I use HDMI from box to telly then optical cable from telly to amplifier (with built in DAC). Most channels don't have a cd quality sound feed but they all sound acceptable. Although I still miss NICAM, that gave a great sound IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Veiko.

Thank you so much.
    The distortion however sometimes happens.
    A family member uses the box remote, and tunes the volume down - then another member likes the receiver remote, and tunes it way up on receiver - and she pushes it way up, if the box is at minimum volume.
    Then she calls on me and says: "whats wrong with the sound?" - The sound has picked up a lot of electric noise. I think I will do smth with the box remote, I will disable it somehow.
    I have been trying to use "one4all" remote, I think I will give another go.

Thank you so much again for your time!!

I'm Martin.

I think your family member is telling you that they want a more powerful home cinema system
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

The reason I don’t have sources like my phone or TV connected to my hi-fi isn’t because they will do any harm, it’s just that they sound awful!
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Oh, the distortion you are sometimes getting is because you effectively have two volume controls, and amplifiers, in series in the system - turn the source one up to maximum and use the other to actually adjust the volume - don't use a combination of both.
    Account Deleted

I'm Alex.

Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.
    yup, you had issues with connecting a scope too philips made one that had a tendancy to give you shocks or blow up if you were not careful... probably late 70's early 80's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm nigel.

If your TV box has a digital output, Virgin has optical...Sky both optical and coaxial, you can purchase a DAC from Amazon for less than 30 quid which will give a much improved sound quality.
    You could, of course connect via your TV's optical out....most TV's made over the past 12 years have one.
    Your box will likely have a setting buried deep in the menus to adjust sound delay if you experience lip synch issues

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast